1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Showing exp(x) definitions are the same.

1. Aug 27, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    [itex]e^{x}=\sum\limits_{k=0}^{\infty}\frac{x^{k}}{k!}[/itex] and [itex]e^{x}=\lim\limits_{n\rightarrow\infty}\left(1+\frac{x}{n}\right)^{n}[/itex].

I want to show that [itex]\sum\limits_{k=0}^{\infty}\frac{x^{k}}{k!}=\lim\limits_{n\rightarrow\infty}\left(1+\frac{x}{n}\right)^{n}[/itex].

2. The attempt at a solution
    Let $$t_{n}=\left(1+\frac{x}{n}\right)^{n}.$$ Then by the binomial theorem we have
    $$ t_{n}=1+x+\frac{x^{2}}{2!}\left(\frac{n-1}{n}\right)+\frac{x^{3}}{3!}\left(\frac{n-1}{n}\right)\left(\frac{n-2}{n}\right)+\cdots+\frac{x^{n}}{n!}\left(\frac{n-1}{n}\right)\left(\frac{n-2}{n}\right)\cdots\left(\frac{1}{n}\right)=\sum\limits_{k=0}^{n}\frac{x^{k}}{k!}\frac{n!}{n^{k}(n-k)!}.$$
    Then
    $$
    \begin{align*}
    \lim\limits_{n\rightarrow\infty}t_{n}=\lim\limits_{n\rightarrow\infty} \sum_{k=0}^{n}\frac{x^{k}}{k!}\frac{n!}{n^{k}(n-k)!}
    &=\sum_{k=0}^{\infty}\lim\limits_{n\rightarrow\infty}\frac{x^{k}}{k!}
    \frac{n!}{n^{k}(n-k)!}\\
    &=1+x+\frac{x^{2}}{2!}\lim\limits_{n\rightarrow\infty}\frac{n-1}{n}+\frac{x^{3}}{3!}\lim\limits_{n\rightarrow\infty}\frac{n-1}{n}\frac{n-2}{n}+\cdots \\
    &=1+x+\frac{x^{2}}{2!}+\frac{x^{3}}{3!}+\cdots \\
    &=\sum_{k=0}^{\infty}\frac{x^{k}}{k!}.
    \end{align*}
    $$

Hence
    $$\lim\limits_{n\rightarrow\infty}t_{n}=\lim\limits_{n\rightarrow\infty}\left(1+\frac{x}{n}\right)^{n}=\sum\limits_{k=0}^{\infty}\frac{x^{k}}{k!}.$$

Can someone check if my reasoning works? I am particularly worried about the part where I say
    $$
    \lim\limits_{n\rightarrow\infty} \sum_{k=0}^{n}\frac{x^{k}}{k!}\frac{n!}{n^{k}(n-k)!}=\sum_{k=0}^{\infty}\lim\limits_{n\rightarrow\infty}\frac{x^{k}}{k!}
    \frac{n!}{n^{k}(n-k)!}.
    $$

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 27, 2013 #2

mfb

2016 Award

Staff: Mentor

That is certainly not true for arbitrary expressions.

$$\lim\limits_{n\rightarrow\infty} \sum_{k=0}^{n} \frac{1}{n+1} = \lim\limits_{n\rightarrow\infty} 1 = 1$$
    $$\sum_{k=0}^{\infty}\lim\limits_{n\rightarrow\infty} \frac{1}{n+1} = \sum_{k=0}^{\infty} 0 = 0$$

4. Aug 27, 2013 #3
    Hmm. Thanks. Could you recommend a way to tackle this problem?

5. Aug 27, 2013 #4
    yeah putting the limit inside the summation requires some proving, because limit sum laws don't necessarily work for infinite sums. I think you could try something like that, for [itex]n ≥ 2 [/itex]:

[tex]\left(1+\frac{x}{n}\right)^n = \sum_{k=0}^{n}\frac{n!}{k!(n-k)!}\frac{x^k}{n^k} = 1 + x + \sum_{k=2}^{n}\frac{n(n-1)...(n-k+1)}{n^k}\frac{x^k}{k!}[/tex]
    [tex] = 1 + x + \sum_{k=2}^{n}\left(1-\frac{1}{n}\right)...\left(1-\frac{k-1}{n}\right)\frac{x^k}{k!}[/tex].

Then I am not quite sure how, but you'll need to prove that taking the limit inside the sum is ok. I tried some ideas but they failed miserably, so I'll think about it. It's an interesting problem, though!

Last edited: Aug 28, 2013
  6. Aug 28, 2013 #5

verty

Homework Helper

I would try to expand the second definition for n = 1,2... and show how it relates to the first definition. Hopefully it correlates perfectly when n = k.

Oh wait, it won't.

7. Aug 28, 2013 #6

Office_Shredder

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

It's actually easier if you don't try to take both limits at the same time. The infinite summation
    [tex] \sum_{k=0}^{\infty} \frac{x^k}{k!} [/tex]
    is an infinite series that converges for all x. For each fixed n,
    [tex] \left(1+\frac{x}{n}\right)^n[/tex]
    is a power series (with only finitely many terms) that converges for all x. It's easier to show that as n goes to infinity, the latter converges to the former by taking their difference and noting that for each n, you have a power series that converges for each x - all that is left is to show that for a fixed x, as n goes to infinity the series goes to zero for any fixed x that you pick

8. Aug 28, 2013 #7
    Interesting. It didn't cross my mind to think of it like that. Thank you.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted