1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Showing that a basis for the ker(A) is in the kernel

1. Jan 21, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    I'm new to this and I was wondering if any one could help me out

given:

x+z-w=1
    y-z+w=1
    x+y+z=3

find the coefficient matrix A, the vector of constants B, use Gauss-jordan elimination to solve the system. Find the Rank(A), the Null(A) and a basis for the im(A) and a basis for the ker(A) then verify that the vectors and in the kernel

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

I reduced the matrix, found the rank to be 3 and the null to be 1, the basis for the

im(A) =( [1;0;1] , [0;1;1] , [1;-1;1] )

then I get to the kernel, I set the equations from the reduced matrix to zero and found

x=w
    y=-w
    z=0

so the basis for the kernel is [1;-1;0;1] right?

how do I show that that basis is in the kernel?
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 21, 2008 #2
    If anything is in the kernel, then it maps to the zero vector. Does this happen?

Last edited: Jan 21, 2008
  4. Jan 21, 2008 #3
    I'm not sure what " maps to the zero vector" means, this is my first course in Linear Algerbra ( two class periods so far ) and we don't have a book to work from.

After I reduce the matrix A|B I get

1 0 0 -1 | 0
    0 1 0 1 | 2
    0 0 1 0 | 1

which gives

x -w = 0
    y+w = 2
    z=1

i set these to zero ( not sure if that is right ) and then solve the equations for x and y
    then i have

X = [x;y;z;w] = [1;-1;0;1]*w

that column vector then becomes my ker(A) right?

5. Jan 21, 2008 #4
    "maps to the zero vector" means that if you plug the basis vector into your system you get zero.

So what I was getting at was - if you plug the basis vector that you got for the kernel in your system, does zero come out? If so, it's a basis for the kernel (assuming you did the rest correctly).

6. Jan 21, 2008 #5
    That a vector v "maps to the zero vector" just means that A*v = 0. You can talk about A as a matrix, but you can also talk about it as function from one vector space to another. That's where the "mapping" terminology comes from.

7. Jan 21, 2008 #6
    yeah, if i take my basis for the ker(A) and plug the vaules back into the original system i get all of the equations to equal zero. is that right then?

thanks for the help by the way :)

8. Jan 21, 2008 #7
    As long as the rest is correct - you have a kernel of dimension 1, you have a nonzero vector in it, so it is a basis. I haven't actually looked at the system itself.

9. Jan 21, 2008 #8
    Thanks!!!!!!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?