1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Showing that a linear transformation from P3 to R4 is an isomorphism?

1. May 4, 2014 #1

elo

I have a linear transformation, T, from P3 (polynomials of degree ≤ 3) to R4 (4-dimensional real number space). I have a second linear transformation, U, from R4 back to P3.

In the first step of this four-step problem, I have shown that the composition TU from R4 to R4 is the identity linear transformation by sending a vector x through U, then sending the product of that through T, and ending up with x again.

What I don't understand is the next step: show that T is an isomorphism. The problem gives the hint that I should first show that the image of T spans R4: okay, fair enough. After some misguided attempts to prove linear independence of the entries of the column vector of T(f), I skipped ahead to the solutions, and was given this:

"Given a vector x in R4, we have T(U(x)) = x, by the previous part, and so x is a value of T, and im(T) = R4."

I do not understand this answer. I did T(U(x)) = x, so I get that. But what does it mean that "x is a value of T?" And how does that mean that the image of T spans R4?

2. jcsd
  3. May 4, 2014 #2

jbunniii

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

If you have already shown that ##TU=I##, then ##T## is surjective: if not, then the range of ##T## would not be all of ##\mathbb{R}^4##, and so the range of ##TU## could not be either, contradicting ##TU=I##. Can you use the rank-nullity theorem to conclude that ##T## is also injective?

4. May 4, 2014 #3

jbunniii

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

I think it's a typo or misstatement. It would be correct if it said "and so x is an element of im(T)".

5. May 4, 2014 #4

elo

Okay: since I can get a 4-dimensional x out of T, the image of T must span R4. The starting space P3 has four dimensions. By rank-nullity, the dimension of the kernel of the transformation plus the dimension of its image must equal the dimension of P3; since the dimension of the image is four, the dimension of the kernel must be zero. Thus, T is both surjective and injective, and is thus an isomorphism.

Do I have the right idea?

6. May 5, 2014 #5

jbunniii

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Yes, it sounds right to me!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted