1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Showing that a three-dimensional vector field is conservative

1. Apr 23, 2006 #1
    Alright, so the field is [tex]\mathbf{F} = (z^2 + 2xy,x^2,2xz)[/tex]
    it's a gradient only when [tex]f_x = z^2 + 2xy[/tex], [tex]f_y = x^2[/tex] and [tex]f_z = 2xz[/tex]
    integrate the first equation with respect to x to get [tex]f(x,y,z) = \int z^2 +2xy\,dx = xz^2 + x^2y + g(y,z) [/tex]
    now, [tex]f_z(x,y,z) = g_z(y,x)[/tex] which is 2xz
    integrate that with respect to z, [tex]g(y,z) = \int 2xz\,dz = xz^2 + h(y)[/tex]
    plug that into our previous expression [tex]f(x,y,z) = xz^2 + x^2y + g(y,z) = 2xz^2 + x^2y + h(y)[/tex]
    derive that with respect to y for [tex]f_y(x,y,z) = x^2 + h'(y) = x^2[/tex]
    so [tex]h'(y) = 0[/tex] and [tex]h(y) = c[/tex] and we can set [tex]c = 0[/tex] and now the potential function is [tex]f(x,y,z) = 2xz^2 + x^2y[/tex] which is wrong. It should be [tex]f(x,y,z) = xz^2 + x^2y[/tex]. Help me please. Sorry if my LaTeX is wonky.

Last edited: Apr 23, 2006
  2. jcsd
  3. Apr 23, 2006 #2

nrqed

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

no...the second term is x^2y

4. Apr 23, 2006 #3

nrqed

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

No, your derivative is wrong. should be z^2 + h'

5. Apr 23, 2006 #4
    Hold on, I'm trying to fix what I typed, as it doesn't match my paper here... alright, fixing the first thing fixed the second thing, so now this reflects how I did the problem.

Last edited: Apr 23, 2006
  6. Apr 23, 2006 #5

nrqed

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

no. Look at your f(x,y,z). f_z is 2xz + g_z

7. Apr 23, 2006 #6
    So then what do you do from there? f_z = 2xz + g_z and we know that f_z = 2xz so that g_z = 0 and g = h(y), is that right? That would give the right answer.

8. Apr 23, 2006 #7

nrqed

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

yes..
    You are done. the derivative with respect to y of f must give x^2. But now you know that f= xz^2 + x^2 y + h(y) so this shows that h is a constant.
    You are done.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?