Showing the solution of an Euler DE oscillates

• Thread starter Electroguru
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Euler
In summary, for a given differential equation, if the value of k is greater than 1/4, the solution will oscillate. This can be shown by finding the roots of the indicial equation and noting that if they are imaginary, the solution will contain oscillatory terms such as cos(x) and sin(x).
Electroguru

Homework Statement

I have the DE
gif.latex?y%5E%7B%27%27%7D%20+%20%5Cfrac%7Bk%7D%7Bx%5E%7B2%7D%7D%20y%20%3D0.gif
which is an Euler DE. Show that if k >1/4, the solution of the DE would oscillate.

Homework Equations

eix= cos(x) +isin(x) I assume.

The Attempt at a Solution

I understand here that if k>1/4 the solution of the DE may oscillate, but if k
gif.gif
1/4, it will not. I understand why it would oscillate because the roots of the indicial equation would come on out as complex because if you were to plug the values into the quadratic formula, you would receive a negative under the square root. Other than explaining it in this fashion, how would some one show this though?

Here I have r=[-1 +/- sqrt(1-4k)]/2

Physics news on Phys.org
Well if you have an imaginary characteristic root, then the solution contains cos(x) and sin(x) which would be oscillatory. If you want find the actual solutions in terms of k (assuming k > 1/4).

1. What is an Euler differential equation?

An Euler differential equation is a type of differential equation that is solved using the Euler method. It is a numerical approach to solving ordinary differential equations, which involve a single independent variable and one or more dependent variables.

2. How does an Euler differential equation oscillate?

An Euler differential equation oscillates because the solution involves a periodic function, such as sine or cosine. This means that the value of the dependent variable changes back and forth between two values over time.

3. What is the significance of an Euler differential equation oscillating?

The oscillating behavior of an Euler differential equation can represent real-world phenomena, such as the motion of a pendulum or a spring. It is also a useful tool for modeling and predicting the behavior of systems in various fields, including physics, engineering, and economics.

4. How is the solution of an Euler differential equation calculated?

The solution of an Euler differential equation is calculated by using the Euler method, which involves approximating the solution at discrete points by using the derivative of the function at each point. As the number of points increases, the approximation gets closer to the actual solution.

5. Can an Euler differential equation have multiple oscillating solutions?

Yes, an Euler differential equation can have multiple oscillating solutions. This is because there can be multiple starting values or initial conditions that result in different oscillating solutions. It is important to carefully consider the initial conditions when solving an Euler differential equation to ensure the correct solution is obtained.