Showing two countably infinite sets have a 1-1 correspondence

In summary, a 1-1 correspondence is a function that maps each element in one set to a unique element in another set. Two countably infinite sets can have a 1-1 correspondence, and this is often used to compare and classify infinite sets. To prove a 1-1 correspondence, one can use a method called "listing" and an example of sets with a 1-1 correspondence is the set of natural numbers and even numbers. This concept is important in understanding infinity and how different sets can have the same size.
k3k3

Homework Statement

Suppose A and B are both countably infinite sets. Prove there is a 1-1 correspondence between A and B.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Since A is countably infinite, there exists a mapping f such that f maps ℕto A that is 1-1 and onto.

Similarly for B, there exists a mapping g such that g maps ℕto B that is 1-1 and onto.

Since g is 1-1 and onto, g^-1 exists and g^-1 maps B into ℕ

Hence g^-1(b)=n for all b in B.

Since f(n)=a for all n in ℕ, then f(g^-1(b))=a for all b in B since g^-1(b) yields its corresponding number from ℕ.

Since f and g are bijective, we can define h as a mapping from B to A by h(b)=a for all b in B by using the ordering created by the mapping g.

Does this make sense?

Physics news on Phys.org
k3k3 said:

Homework Statement

Suppose A and B are both countably infinite sets. Prove there is a 1-1 correspondence between A and B.

Homework Equations

Since A is countably infinite, there exists a mapping f such that f maps ℕto A that is 1-1 and onto.

Similarly for B, there exists a mapping g such that g maps ℕto B that is 1-1 and onto.

Everything is fine up to this point.

What is n?

Since f(n)=a for all n in ℕ,
What? This means that f is a constant function, certainly not a bijection.

You have the right idea, but you aren't expressing it correctly.

f is a 1-1 mapping of N onto A
g is a 1-1 mapping of N onto B

You seek a 1-1 mapping of A onto B. What is that mapping, and how do you know that it is 1-1 and onto?

k3k3 said:

Homework Statement

Homework Equations

Since f(n)=a for all n in ℕ, then f(g^-1(b))=a for all b in B since g^-1(b) yields its corresponding number from ℕ.

Since f and g are bijective, we can define h as a mapping from B to A by h(b)=a for all b in B by using the ordering created by the mapping g.

Does this make sense?
Not really.

At least three of your statements say something other than what you probably intended.

"Hence g^-1(b)=n for all b in B." says every b in B gets mapped to the same n in .

Similarly, "Since f(n)=a for all n in ℕ" says that all of the elements of get mapped to the same element of A.

Also, "then f(g^-1(b))=a for all b in B" says that all of the elements of B get mapped to one single element of A.

It should be enough to note that since g is a bijection, then so is g-1. Then since f and g-1 are bijections, so is f○g-1.

n is supposed to be some n in ℕ. What ever it is mapped to.

I think the mapping is the composite function f(g^-1(n)) and since f and g are 1-1 and onto, the composite function is too.

I am trying to say that f(some n) = some unique a when I say "f(n)=a". Should I say that for all a in A and n in ℕ?

k3k3 said:
I am trying to say that f(some n) = some unique a when I say "f(n)=a". Should I say that for all a in A and n in ℕ?
What you want to say is covered by the composition, of f with g-1 being a bijection.

Otherwise:
Each element of ℕ is the image of exactly one element of B.

etc.​
would be OK, I suppose.

Here is my revised argument:

Since g is 1-1 and onto, g-1 exists and g-1 is 1-1 and onto and maps B into ℕ.

Then for every element of ℕ, there exists exactly one b that it is the image of.
Hence there exists a b in B such that g-1(b)=n for some n in ℕ

Using g-1 in f creates the 1-1 correspondence from A to B.

Therefore f○g-1 is a bijective mapping from A to B.

1. How do you define a 1-1 correspondence between two sets?

A 1-1 correspondence, also known as a bijection, is a function that maps each element in one set to a unique element in another set. This means that each element in the first set has exactly one corresponding element in the second set, and vice versa.

2. Can two countably infinite sets have a 1-1 correspondence?

Yes, it is possible for two countably infinite sets to have a 1-1 correspondence. In fact, this is a key characteristic of countably infinite sets - they have the same size or cardinality as the set of natural numbers.

3. How do you prove that two countably infinite sets have a 1-1 correspondence?

To prove that two countably infinite sets have a 1-1 correspondence, you can use a method called "listing." This involves creating a list that contains all the elements of both sets, and then showing that each element in the first set has a unique corresponding element in the second set, and vice versa.

4. What is an example of two countably infinite sets with a 1-1 correspondence?

An example of two countably infinite sets with a 1-1 correspondence is the set of natural numbers (1, 2, 3, ...) and the set of even numbers (2, 4, 6, ...). Each natural number can be mapped to a unique even number by doubling it, and each even number can be mapped to a unique natural number by dividing it by 2.

5. Why is it important to show that two countably infinite sets have a 1-1 correspondence?

Showing that two countably infinite sets have a 1-1 correspondence is important because it allows us to compare and classify infinite sets. It also helps us understand the concept of infinity and how different sets can have the same size or cardinality, despite having different numbers of elements.