1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Showing Uniqueness of Elements of a Vector Space

1. Jan 18, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

http://img267.imageshack.us/img267/8924/screenshot20120118at121.png [Broken]

3. The attempt at a solutionWe have that X = A + B. To show that X is unique, let two such sums be denoted by X1 X2 such that X1X2. We write,

X1 = A + B
    X2 = A + B

The equations imply,

X1 - A - B = 0
    X2 - A - B = 0

Which imply,

X1 - A - B = X2 - A - B. If we add vectors to both sides,

X1 - A - B + A + B = X2 - A - B + A + B

X1 + 0 + 0 = X2 + 0 + 0
    X1 = X2, which contradicts our assertion that X1X2. This shows that such an X is unique.

Last edited by a moderator: May 5, 2017
  2. jcsd
  3. Jan 18, 2012 #2

lanedance

Homework Helper

don't you mean A+X=B?

4. Jan 18, 2012 #3

lanedance

Homework Helper

and though on the right track 3 points,
    - i think you need to justify the minus operation by invoking the existence of an additive inverse
    - eqauting to zero is an unecessary step, i would start from B=B in this case
    - you need to show both existence and uniqueness

5. Jan 18, 2012 #4
    Yeah, you're totally right. I just typed X =A + B by accident. As for proving the existence of such an X, how do I begin that? I think proving uniqueness should be, with some adjustment, what I have in #1.

6. Jan 18, 2012 #5

lanedance

Homework Helper

just find a vector that exists that satisfies the requirement
    A+X=B
    A+X+(-A)=B+(-A)
    X+A+(-A)=B+(-A)
    X+0=B+(-A)
    X=B+(-A)

So somewhat obviously B+(-A) does the job

7. Jan 18, 2012 #6

lanedance

Homework Helper

its a little mechanical, but each one of the above operations is justified by a vector space axiom

8. Jan 18, 2012 #7
    Okay, that's pretty clear. Thanks!

Another question I have is why the set of polynomials of degree = 2 is not a vector space. It isn't obvious to me which axiom is not being satisfied here. Could you recommend an axiom to examine more closely?

9. Jan 18, 2012 #8

lanedance

Homework Helper

does it contain the zero vector?

10. Jan 18, 2012 #9
    So I understood that degree = 2 indicated polynomials of the form [itex]a_0 + a_1 x +a_2 x^2[/itex] if [itex]a_0[/itex],[itex]a_1[/itex],[itex]a_2 = 0[/itex], then certainly the entire polynomial goes to zero.

I doubt, somehow, that this is the conclusion I am supposed to arrive at. Does degree = 2 indicate rather polynomials of the form [itex]a_2 x^2[/itex]? But even if this is so, I still think I could let the coefficient be zero to get a zero vector.

What does "degree = 2" actually mean?

11. Jan 19, 2012 #10

lanedance

Homework Helper

I would interpret degree=2 as [itex]a_2\neq0 [/itex]..

And degree<=2 as putting no constraints on a_0,a_1,a_2... but thats just my interpretation

Its also probably biased by that i'm pretty sure all polynomials with degree<=2 is a vector space

12. Jan 19, 2012 #11

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Also the sum of the two second degree polynomials, [itex]1+ x- x^2[/itex] and [itex]2- 2x+ x^2[/itex], is [itex]3- x[/itex] which is not a second degree polynomial.

(The set of all polynomials of degree less than or equal to is a vector space.)

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook