Showing Unitary Operator U is a Fraction of Hermitian Operators

  • Thread starter Thread starter erogard
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Operator
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
3 replies · 4K views
erogard
Messages
60
Reaction score
0
Hi,

I have to show that a unitary operator [itex]U[/itex] can be written as

[tex] U=\frac{\mathbf{1}+iK}{\mathbf{1}-iK}[/tex]

where [itex]K[/itex] is a Hermitian operator.

Now how could you possibly have a fraction of operators if those can be represented by matrices? Not sure what to do here.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Also doesn't the equality fail for when U=-1 (the negative of a 1 matrix)? No matter what K is I can't see how it would hold since we'd basically end up with -1 + iK = 1 + iK
 
Hi erogard,

First think about what an Unitary operator is by definition.

with just a quick look at wikipedia you'll be able to see that
\begin{equation}
U^{*}U = UU^* = I
\end{equation}
so given that K is hermitian
\begin{equation}
K^*=K
\end{equation}
and that
\begin{equation}
I^*I = II^*=I
\end{equation}
just see if the above identity holds,

Nik
 
erogard said:
Hi,

I have to show that a unitary operator [itex]U[/itex] can be written as

[tex] U=\frac{\mathbf{1}+iK}{\mathbf{1}-iK}[/tex]

where [itex]K[/itex] is a Hermitian operator.

Now how could you possibly have a fraction of operators if those can be represented by matrices? Not sure what to do here.

Stuff written like that generally just means inverse eg
[itex]A=\frac{1}{\mathbf{(1-B)}}=\mathbf{(1-B)}^{-1}[/itex]

So you just want to show that U us unitary eg [itex]UU^{\dagger}=U^{\dagger}U=I[/itex] (where[itex]\dagger[/itex] is the hermitian conjugate operation)
Which is a pretty simple operation