Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Shuttle Processing - great pics!

1. Apr 13, 2008 #1

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Last edited: Apr 13, 2008
  2. jcsd
  3. Apr 13, 2008 #2
    A great series of photos, I enjoyed seeing those. Thanks!

4. Apr 13, 2008 #3

Danger

Gold Member

Thanks, Ivan. That's very interesting, and excellent photography.

5. Apr 13, 2008 #4

russ_watters

Staff: Mentor

I didn't realize they insert the payload while on the pad. That's a little odd.

6. Apr 13, 2008 #5
    How come people working around shuttle don't wear hard hats? Is that hangar really that safe?

7. Apr 13, 2008 #6
    I had the same thoughts as Russ. It seems kinda strange to have all that extra infrastructure to load the cargo. There are no photos of that portion of the prep. Maybe it is a safety precaution to mate the cargo at the last moment to mitigate any hazzard exposure to the cargo, as sometimes it is worth hundreds of millions of dollars if not more? Seems like a lot of steps to go through tho. Realy cool photographs, Thanks.

8. Apr 13, 2008 #7

Danger

Gold Member

Adding the payload at the pad kind of surprised me, too. I wonder if it might have something to do with either the load capacity or balancing issues with the crawler.

9. Apr 13, 2008 #8
    Yeah, it's an unusual sight. I would guess that nothing falls in that place, as in "NOTHING falls". Every nut and bolt must be secured and accounted for, unlike your typical building site. At some point, not even a hair falls as all workers wear clean room attire.

10. Apr 13, 2008 #9

matthyaouw

Gold Member

Great pics!

Either that, or anything capable of falling is too big for your average hard-hat to be of any use!

When I've been on geology field trips and forced to wear a helmet, the guide has always stressed to us "This thing will protect you from falling pebbles. Anything larger and whether or not you have your helmet on will be inconsequential."

11. Apr 13, 2008 #10

russ_watters

Staff: Mentor

That's why hard hats are largely protection against your own stupidity, not objects falling on you. If there's nothing for you to bump your head on, no need for a hard hat.

12. Apr 13, 2008 #11

lisab

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Very cool photos!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?