Sig Figs in Physics Problems: Explanation for Two Calculations

Then, you add 10^4, so it becomes 8.5 x 10^4, with 2 SF.In summary, for the first calculation, the result should have 3 significant figures, and for the second calculation, the result should have 2 significant figures. This is determined by choosing the number in the calculation with the least number of significant figures.
p4cifico
I need an explanation for these two problems

How many sig figs should be retained in the result of the following calculation?

12.00000 x 0.9893 + 13.00335 x 0.0107

and

(11.13-2.6) x 10^4 / (103.05 + 16.9) x 10 ^-6

Physics news on Phys.org
3 and 2.

Significant fig's is just a rule of thumb, proper uncertainty analysis is more detailed.

Last edited:
p4cifico said:
I need an explanation for these two problems

How many sig figs should be retained in the result of the following calculation?

12.00000 x 0.9893 + 13.00335 x 0.0107

and

(11.13-2.6) x 10^4 / (103.05 + 16.9) x 10 ^-6
Pick the number in multiplication or division with the least number of SF.
In your first eq., it is 3.
In your second, you first have to do 11.13-2.6=8.5, with 2 SF.

1. What are significant figures in physics problems?

Significant figures, also known as significant digits, are digits that represent the precision or accuracy of a measurement. In physics problems, significant figures are used to indicate the level of uncertainty in a given measurement.

2. How do I determine the number of significant figures in a measurement?

There are a few rules to determine the number of significant figures in a measurement. The first rule is that all non-zero digits are significant. The second rule is that all zeros between non-zero digits are significant. The third rule is that all zeros that are at the end of a number and to the right of a decimal point are significant. The fourth rule is that all zeros that are at the end of a number but to the left of a decimal point may or may not be significant, depending on the context.

3. How do I perform calculations with significant figures?

When performing calculations with significant figures, the result should be rounded to the same number of significant figures as the measurement with the fewest significant figures. For addition and subtraction, the result should have the same number of decimal places as the measurement with the fewest decimal places. For multiplication and division, the result should have the same number of significant figures as the measurement with the fewest significant figures.

4. Can I ignore significant figures in scientific notation?

No, significant figures are still important in scientific notation. The number of significant figures in scientific notation is determined by the digits in the coefficient, not the exponent. For example, in 3.40 x 10^4, there are three significant figures.

5. How do significant figures affect the precision of a measurement?

The number of significant figures in a measurement represents the precision of the measurement. The more significant figures, the more precise the measurement is. For example, a measurement of 1.234 has more precision than a measurement of 1.2. Significant figures are important in physics as they help to indicate the accuracy and reliability of data and measurements.