1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Sign equality in proof of (sin A +sin B) trig identitiy

1. Nov 19, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    To show that sin A + sin B = +2|sin ((A+B)/2)*cos((A-B)/2)| is easy. However, it is not clear how to remove the absolute value signs to give the valid identity sinA + sin B = 2(sin ((A+B)/2)*cos((A-B)/2)) without having to go through many cases.

2. Relevant equations

To prove the version with the absolute value is a straightforward application on the RHS of the half-angle identities and the angle addition/subtraction identities, whereupon one gets
    +√(sinA+sinB)2.

3. The attempt at a solution
    I started with making a table of the different cases, some of which are straightforward. But the number of cases that must be examined gets to quickly be rather large, so I figure that there is an easier way to go about it. All help would be appreciated.
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 19, 2013 #2

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I would prove it by adding sin(x+y) and sin(x-y) and then expanding them by addition formulas. Then put x=(A+B)/2 and y=(A-B)/2. Then the sign ambiguity never comes up.

4. Nov 19, 2013 #3
    Thanks a million, Dick. Not only does the sign ambiguity never come up that way, but this is easier. Very elegant.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted