How to get from tan(a)/tan(b) to sin(a)/sin(b) or something simmilar

• Thread starter Philip Robotic
  • Start date
In summary: I asked my teacher and she said that the solution is probably not known, but in case it is known, I should be able to find it with some help from python. I don't know how, but I will try.Thank you very much for your help!
Philip Robotic

Homework Statement

In this task I have $$\frac{tana}{tanb}=c$$ (I know c)

In this task I am looking for $$\frac{sina}{sinb}=?$$

2. The attempt at a solution
I tried transforming the first equation using trig identities. I got this far and got stuck:
$$\left(\frac{tana}{tanb}\right)^{2}=\frac{(sina+sinb)\cdot (sina-sinb)}{sin^{2}b\cdot cos^{2}a}+1$$
Is there a trick to get from this to the fraction I am looking for?

(Please note this is a part of a bigger task and I don't know if it is even solvable).

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
This is an approximation, not an equality. It is valid for small angles ##a## and ##b## usually less than 0.1 radians. The smaller the angles the better the approximation. Do some calculations using small values for ##a## and ##b##, say ##a=0.1##, ##b=0.05## and you will see what I mean.

More generally, the small angle approximation is ##\tan a\approx\sin a\approx a##.

Likes YoungPhysicist and Philip Robotic
Has that speck of dust surrounded my brain again?

Draw a picture. The ratio of two tangents is the ratio of two heights, both divided by the same base length which cancels out.

Ratio of two sines is ratio of the same two heights, both divided by the same hypotenuse which cancels out.

So isn't the ratio of two sines the same as the ratio of the corresponding two tangents, :oldsurprised: or am I having a bad day with this flu?

Likes Philip Robotic
Counterexample
$$\frac{\sin 50^o}{\sin 60^o}=0.884;~~\frac{\tan 50^o}{\tan 60^o}=0.688$$

I hope you beat the flu :smile:.

Likes epenguin and Philip Robotic
Referring to kuruman's first post, unfortunately the angles in this task are rather large, between 30 to 80 degrees (approximately). But they are smaller than 90 deg.

Philip Robotic said:
Referring to kuruman's first post, unfortunately the angles in this task are rather large, between 30 to 80 degrees (approximately). But they are smaller than 90 deg.
Then the equality does not hold. See post #4.

Likes Philip Robotic
I just spotted I made a mistake in my attempt at solution in post #1. It is correct now (but still unsolved :cry:). I also graphed both of the functions and it seems that they nearly perfectly match when the bottom angle (b) is negative and the top stays positive. You can check it here:

https://www.desmos.com/calculator/al3zpm4jmd

What does ##\left( 1 + \tan^2 a \right)## equal?

Likes Philip Robotic
kuruman said:
Counterexample
$$\frac{\sin 50^o}{\sin 60^o}=0.884;~~\frac{\tan 50^o}{\tan 60^o}=0.688$$
ah yes should always try an example first.
epenguin said:
Has that speck of dust surrounded my brain again?

Draw a picture. The ratio of two tangents is the ratio of two heights, both divided by the same base length which cancels out.

Ratio of two sines is ratio of the same two heights, both divided by NOT the same hypotenuse which NOTcancels out.

So isn't the ratio of two sines the same as the ratio of the corresponding two tangents, :oldsurprised: or am I having a bad day with this flu?

kuruman said:
I hope you beat the flu :smile:.
Thank you I was worried for half an hour, but it looks ^^^ like there is no permanent impairment after all. Sorry for irrelevant interruption.

Likes Philip Robotic
George Jones said:
If I am not mistaken that is ##\frac{1}{cos^{2}a}## Thus I could cancel out the ##cos^2a## at the bottom of my equation and then I would have$$ \frac{(sina+sinb)\cdot (sina-sinb)}{sin^{2}b}+tan^2a\cdot\frac{(sina+sinb)\cdot (sina-sinb)}{sin^{2}b}+1$$ But I don't know what next should I do...
##tan^2a## is not known alone, right?

Really not clear what the problem is asking for. What form of "?" are they after?
For example, since tan(x) = sin(x)/cos(x) ⇒ sin(a)/sin(b) = c*cos(b)/cos(a) is this your answer? I have no idea.

Likes Philip Robotic
DaveE said:
Really not clear what the problem is asking for. What form of "?" are they after?
For example, since tan(x) = sin(x)/cos(x) ⇒ sin(a)/sin(b) = c*cos(b)/cos(a) is this your answer? I have no idea.
As I understand it, the original post has been edited to ask the question, "Knowing the ratio of tangents, find the ratio of sines."

Likes Philip Robotic
kuruman said:
As I understand it, the original post has been edited to ask the question, "Knowing the ratio of tangents, find the ratio of sines."
Yes, that is it. Please note this is just a part of a bigger problem and that is as far as I got. I managed to find the ratio of tangents, but I need to have a ratio of sines.

Philip Robotic said:

Homework Statement

In this task I have $$\frac{tana}{tanb}=c$$ (I know c)

In this task I am looking for $$\frac{sina}{sinb}=?$$

2. The attempt at a solution
I tried transforming the first equation using trig identities. I got this far and got stuck:
$$\left(\frac{tana}{tanb}\right)^{2}=\frac{(sina+sinb)\cdot (sina-sinb)}{sin^{2}b\cdot cos^{2}a}+1$$
Is there a trick to get from this to the fraction I am looking for?

(Please note this is a part of a bigger task and I don't know if it is even solvable).

Proposition: If ##\frac{\tan a}{\tan b} = c##, then ##\frac{\sin a}{\sin b} = f(c)##, where ##f(c)## is independent of ##a, b##.

Is that proposition true or false?

Likes Philip Robotic
I think #8 is the thing to follow. However I do not think there is an answer in terms of the ratio of tan's alone, I think you need this ratio plus ##sin a## or some other trigonometrical function of a or b.
For your larger problem do you really need this? It needs the ratio of sines as input parameter? Can you just let that be the input?

Likes Philip Robotic
You can derive c = [sin(a+b) + sin(a-b)]/[sin(a+b) - sin(a-b)]
However, I doubt that that is useful for you.

Likes Philip Robotic
PeroK said:
Proposition: If tanatanb=ctan⁡atan⁡b=c\frac{\tan a}{\tan b} = c, then sinasinb=f(c)sin⁡asin⁡b=f(c)\frac{\sin a}{\sin b} = f(c), where f(c)f(c)f(c) is independent of a,ba,ba, b.

Is that proposition true or false?

If I understand the question correctly, it would be good if it were true, because a general relationship between these two fractions could be derived. I am not sure if is true or false, but since you asked this question it is false, right?

epenguin said:
I think #8 is the thing to follow. However I do not think there is an answer in terms of the ratio of tan's alone, I think you need this ratio plus ##sin a## or some other trigonometrical function of a or b.
For your larger problem do you really need this? It needs the ratio of sines as input parameter? Can you just let that be the input?

Unfortunately the answer they are asking for is that fraction of sines (the question is about the relative refractive index)

Philip Robotic said:
If I understand the question correctly, it would be good if it were true, because a general relationship between these two fractions could be derived. I am not sure if is true or false, but since you asked this question it is false, right?

You could always unleash the power of the spreadsheet to resolve the issue!

Likes Philip Robotic
PeroK said:
You could always unleash the power of the spreadsheet to resolve the issue!

I tried now it and unfortunately I can only find approximations with spreadsheet (referring back to post #4). The software didn't find a function that matches both of the fractions well enough for the task. Seems that I will have to try a different approach on the "big" problem itself.

I would really like to thank all of you: PeroK, Kuruman, epenguin, DaveE and Geogre Jones for devoting your time to helping me :smile: I really appreciate your effort

Philip Robotic said:
I tried now it and unfortunately I can only find approximations with spreadsheet (referring back to post #4). The software didn't find a function that matches both of the fractions well enough for the task. Seems that I will have to try a different approach on the "big" problem itself.

I would really like to thank all of you: PeroK, Kuruman, epenguin, DaveE and Geogre Jones for devoting your time to helping me :smile: I really appreciate your effort
Perhaps if you posted the entire "task", one of us might be able to see a different approach from yours that may result in a tractable solution.

Likes PeroK
Philip Robotic said:

You underestimate the power of calculations. All you need to do is find ##a_1, b_1## and ##a_2, b_2## such that ##\frac{\tan a_1}{\tan b_1} = \frac{\tan a_2}{\tan b_2}##, yet ##\frac{\sin a_1}{\sin b_1} \ne \frac{\sin a_2}{\sin b_2}##

Likes George Jones and Philip Robotic
kuruman said:
Perhaps if you posted the entire "task", one of us might be able to see a different approach from yours that may result in a tractable solution.

The thing is I can't post the entire task. It is a part of an ongoing physics contest. But thanks a lot for asking :wink:

PeroK said:
You underestimate the power of calculations. All you need to do is find ##a_1, b_1## and ##a_2, b_2## such that ##\frac{\tan a_1}{\tan b_1} = \frac{\tan a_2}{\tan b_2}##, yet ##\frac{\sin a_1}{\sin b_1} \ne \frac{\sin a_2}{\sin b_2}##

Still working on it, but that's a great tip :smile: I am still new to computer calculations

PeroK said:

Yes, it is very easy to find specific examples of this. I was trying to show this with

George Jones said:

but it is much easier to just pick some specific values.

Philip Robotic said:
If I am not mistaken that is ##\frac{1}{cos^{2}a}##

Yes, now multiply both sides by ##\sin^2 a##.

Philip Robotic said:
Still working on it, but that's a great tip :smile: I am still new to computer calculations

You don't need a computer, just use well-known values.

Likes Philip Robotic and PeroK
Philip Robotic said:

From ##\tan a /\tan b = c## we have ##\tan a = c\, \tan b##, or ##\tan^2 a = c^2 \tan^2 b.## This can be re-written in terms of sines, as
$$\frac{\sin^2 a}{1-\sin^2 a} = c^2 \frac{\sin^2 b}{1-\sin^2 b}.$$ Solving for ##\sin^2 a## gives
$$\sin^2 a = \frac{c^2 \sin^2 b}{1 - \sin^2 b + c^2 \sin^2 b}.$$
For any values of ##b## and ##c## you pick, you can determine ##\sin b##, so you can determine the required value of ##\sin^2 a##, and hence the value of ##\pm \sin a.## Alternately, you can write
$$\frac{\sin a}{\sin b} = \pm \frac{c}{\sqrt{1+(c^2-1) \sin^2 b }}.$$

Last edited:
Likes Philip Robotic
Alright...
Again, thank you all very much for help :smile: I've really learned a lot in this discussion from you
and
I have finally managed to find an alternative solution that doesn't require converting a fraction of tangents into a fraction of sines, but still it was a lot of fun trying to investigate that matter :wink:

1. How do I convert tan(a)/tan(b) to sin(a)/sin(b) or something similar?

To convert from tan(a)/tan(b) to sin(a)/sin(b), you can use the trigonometric identity: tan(x) = sin(x)/cos(x). This means that tan(a)/tan(b) is equivalent to (sin(a)/cos(a)) / (sin(b)/cos(b)). By multiplying the numerator and denominator by the reciprocal of cos(a), which is sec(a), and the reciprocal of cos(b), which is sec(b), the expression simplifies to sin(a)/sin(b).

2. Is there a specific formula for converting between tan and sin?

Yes, the formula for converting between tan and sin is tan(x) = sin(x)/cos(x). This formula is derived from the Pythagorean identity: sin(x)^2 + cos(x)^2 = 1. By dividing both sides by cos(x)^2, we get the formula for tan(x).

3. Can I use the same method to convert between other trigonometric functions?

Yes, the same method can be used to convert between other trigonometric functions, such as converting between cotangent and cosecant. Just remember to use the appropriate reciprocal function, such as secant for cosine and cosecant for sine.

4. Why would I need to convert between tan(a)/tan(b) and sin(a)/sin(b)?

Converting between trigonometric functions can be useful in solving trigonometric equations and simplifying expressions. It can also help in visualizing and understanding the relationships between different trigonometric functions.

5. Are there any other trigonometric identities that can be used to convert between tan and sin?

Yes, there are other trigonometric identities that can be used to convert between tan and sin. One example is the double angle identity: sin(2x) = 2sin(x)cos(x). This can be used to convert between tan(2x) and sin(2x)/sin(x).