1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Significance of magnetic flux between wires

1. Dec 11, 2016 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Two wires are laid side by side and carry equal currents in opposite directions. Explain why the total magnetic flux density due to the current in the wires is negligible

2. The attempt at a solution
    I know that having a different direction for the current results in opposable magnetic fields. What I dont understand is how does opposable magnetic fields results in their cancellation. The magnetic field due to both wires in between them will always be in the same direction. So how do the magnetic fields cancel out?

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 11, 2016 #2

gneill

Staff: Mentor

The wires are laid side by side implies that they are pretty close together, perhaps just separated by a layer of insulation. I figure they want you to comment on the field at some distance from the pair, not necessarily between them.

4. Dec 11, 2016 #3
    Ohhhhh thanks got it. But if we take into account the middle portion, the magnetic field there is 2 times the usual right?

5. Dec 11, 2016 #4

gneill

Well, that depends upon what you define to be "the usual" and where precisely between the wires you measure it :smile:

6. Dec 11, 2016 #5
    By between I mean the magnetic flux in extreme middle of both wires and by usual I mean, the magnetic field created my one of the wire at the same distance

7. Dec 11, 2016 #6

gneill

Then I would agree with your assessment that the field strength is doubled at that locus.

8. Dec 11, 2016 #7
    oh okay thanks

9. Dec 11, 2016 #8
    Apologies for disturbing you again but I have one question
    If the current in both wires is very high and the distance between both wires is also high, will the magnetic field at some point still be negligible?

10. Dec 11, 2016 #9

gneill

It's a matter of scale. You can always make any finite distance between the wires insignificant by backing off far enough; Infinity gives one a lot of room to maneuver :smile:

11. Dec 11, 2016 #10
    Oh okay

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted