Significance of spring mass in SHM.

In summary, the conversation discusses a spring-mass system where the mass of the spring is comparable to the mass at the end of the spring. The objective is to determine the significance of the mass of the spring using Newton's laws and Hooke's law. The individual has attempted different approaches, including using Lagrangian mechanics, but is now seeking help in solving it with Newtonian mechanics.
hjalte

Homework Statement

So, we are considering a spring-mass system, in which the mass at the end of the spring, M, is comparable to the mass of the spring, m.
Using Newtons laws, I have to calculate, how significant the mass of the spring is.

Homework Equations

Mass at the end of the spring, M.
Mass of the spring, m.
Spring constant, k.
Newtons second law, and Hooke's law.

The Attempt at a Solution

Actually, I have tried quite lot different approaches, but they don't seem to give me anything useful.
My latest attempt was to take a differential piece of mass of the spring, and calculate it's acceleration, in hope of getting something which i could integrate, but it didn't seem to work out.

I was asked this question by a high school student, whom I have to help writing a larger assignment.
I solved this problem rather easily using Lagrangian mechanics, but this is not available to the student, so I have to do it with Newtonian mechanics, which doesn't seem too easy.

I really appreciate any help I can get.

Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF.

I would think if you know the length of the spring that you can calculate the kinetic energy along its length by integration on the basis of the velocities all along it's length. Then you can relate that to the kinetic energy of the attached mass at the end.

Dear student,

The significance of the mass of the spring in a spring-mass system is crucial in understanding the dynamics of the system. This is because the mass of the spring affects the natural frequency of the system, which is the frequency at which the system oscillates in simple harmonic motion (SHM).

In SHM, the force acting on the mass is directly proportional to its displacement from the equilibrium position and is directed towards the equilibrium position. This is described by Hooke's law, which states that the force (F) is equal to the negative of the spring constant (k) multiplied by the displacement (x): F = -kx. The spring constant is a measure of the stiffness of the spring and is dependent on the material and geometry of the spring.

Now, when the mass of the spring is comparable to the mass at the end of the spring, the natural frequency of the system is affected. This is because the mass at the end of the spring not only has to overcome the restoring force of the spring, but it also has to move the mass of the spring itself. This results in a decrease in the natural frequency of the system compared to a system where the mass of the spring is negligible.

In order to calculate the significance of the mass of the spring, you can use Newton's second law, which states that the net force (F_net) acting on an object is equal to its mass (m) multiplied by its acceleration (a): F_net = ma. By considering a differential piece of mass of the spring and calculating its acceleration, you can integrate to find the total force acting on the entire spring. This will give you an idea of how much the mass of the spring affects the overall dynamics of the system.

I hope this helps in your assignment. Good luck!

What is the significance of spring mass in SHM?

The spring mass system is an important concept in Simple Harmonic Motion (SHM) as it represents a common type of oscillatory motion in many physical systems, such as springs, pendulums, and mass-spring systems. It helps in understanding the behavior of objects under the influence of a restoring force.

How does the mass affect SHM in a spring mass system?

The mass in a spring mass system affects the period and frequency of SHM. A larger mass will result in a longer period and a lower frequency, while a smaller mass will result in a shorter period and a higher frequency. This is because the mass affects the inertia of the system, which determines how quickly it can accelerate and decelerate in response to the restoring force of the spring.

Can a spring mass system have an infinite mass?

No, a spring mass system cannot have an infinite mass as it would result in an infinitely long period and frequency of SHM. This is because the inertia of the system would be so large that it would not be able to accelerate and decelerate in response to the restoring force of the spring, resulting in a constant displacement and no oscillation.

What is the role of the spring in a spring mass system?

The spring in a spring mass system provides the restoring force that drives the oscillatory motion. As the mass is displaced from its equilibrium position, the spring exerts a force in the opposite direction, causing the mass to accelerate back towards the equilibrium position. This back-and-forth motion results in SHM.

How is the spring constant related to the spring mass system?

The spring constant, represented by the variable k, is a measure of the stiffness of the spring. It determines the magnitude of the restoring force exerted by the spring for a given displacement. A higher spring constant will result in a stiffer spring, which in turn will result in a higher frequency and shorter period of SHM.