1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Significant digits including only one zero

1. Mar 9, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    The problem asks us to find deceleration from 60km/h to 0km/h in 1,2 seconds.

2. Relevant equations
    The speed formulas

3. The attempt at a solution
    I know how to apply the formula. However, in the problem, it is written 0km/h. How many significant digits is that? How many significant digits should i have in this problem for the final result?

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 9, 2013 #2
    You should have 2 in your answer as acceleration is the change in velocity (i.e. 60km/h in this case). The 0km/h can be ignored in the case of significant digits :smile:

4. Mar 9, 2013 #3
    Thank you

Thanks that's what I wanted to know. The zero is confusing. Also, for my lab report, I have to jot down the speed of a small toy according to the time passed. At the beginning, the toy is not moving. Should I put 0m/s or the number of significant digits put for the other data, since we can't really be sure the toy is not moving very very slightly?
    Thanks again.

5. Mar 9, 2013 #4
    If it's not moving initially, 0 m/s will be fine.

6. Mar 9, 2013 #5

lewando

Gold Member

"Not moving" implies zero km/h with extreme precision. That is different from 0km/h. What would your answer be if the original question was looking for 60km/h to 1km/h?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted