Significant figures vs precision (I think)

In summary, the conversation discusses a question about calculating the frequency shift heard by a receiver moving towards a sound source emitting a 3000Hz sound. The attempt at a solution involves using the equation Freceiver = Fsender((V + Vreceiver)/V) where V is the speed of sound in air. It is mentioned that the given frequency of 3000Hz may have ambiguous significant figures, leading to different results when rounding off. There is also a discussion about the difference between calculating the observed frequency and the frequency shift, and the importance of considering significant figures in the calculation.
gijoel

Homework Statement

I've got a doppler shift question about calculating the frequency heard by a receiver moving 5.0m/s towards a sound source that is emitting 3000Hz sound. I assumed speed of sound is 343 m/s for an air temperature of 20C.

Homework Equations

Freceiver = Fsender((V + Vreceiver)/V) Where V is speed of sound in air

The Attempt at a Solution

After calculating the sound I get 3000Hz x (348/343)
Which equals 3000hz x 1.015
=3043.731...Hz
If I round off to one or two significant digits like the problem states then I get 3000Hz. Which doesn't make sense. What am I missing here? Is there some rule the over rides significant digits for these types of answers?

Physics news on Phys.org
The number of significant figures in the given frequency of 3000 Hz is ambiguous. If you assume it has at least 3 significant figures, then you can keep 3 significant figures in the result of the calculation 3000 Hz x (348/343).

If the 3000 Hz has two or less significant figures then you would get 3000 Hz for the answer. It just means that to two significant figures, there is no difference between the source frequency and the doppler shifted frequency.

gijoel said:
If I round off to one or two significant digits like the problem states then I get 3000Hz. Which doesn't make sense. What am I missing here? Is there some rule the over rides significant digits for these types of answers?

the point about significant figures, is that if you put data of limited accuracy into the equation; you get an answer of limited accuracy.

To give a more accurate answer would be wrong (because, say, your 5.0m/s could mean 4.95m/s or 5.04 m/s - you don't know - all you can assume is that it was measured with an instrument of limited accuracy, so you cannot assume more accuracy).

I would give the full calculation and write the answer as

blah blah = 3043.731 Hz

which is

3.0 x 10^3 Hz to two significant figures

3 x 10^3 Hz to one significant figure (assuming given frequency is correct to one sig fig)

can't go wrong there - its not clear if the given frequency is correct to 1,2,3 or 4 figures ? so make an assumption, but make sure you write your assumption down.

Last edited:
gijoel said:

Homework Statement

I've got a doppler shift question about calculating the frequency heard by a receiver moving 5.0m/s towards a sound source that is emitting 3000Hz sound. I assumed speed of sound is 343 m/s for an air temperature of 20C.

Homework Equations

Freceiver = Fsender((V + Vreceiver)/V) Where V is speed of sound in air

The Attempt at a Solution

After calculating the sound I get 3000Hz x (348/343)
Which equals 3000hz x 1.015
=3043.731...Hz
Does the question ask for the frequency observed by the receiver, or does it ask for the frequency shift?

Added in Edit:
To further elaborate on my question:

If you use significant digits (blindly) and use 2 significant digits, then the observed frequency gets rounded to 3000Hz.

Calculating the Doppler shift from this may lead to the conclusion that the Doppler shift in frequency is 0 Hz. However, there is a way to calculate the shift without getting zero.

ΔF = Freceiver - Fsender

= Fsender((V + Vreceiver)/V) - Fsender

= Fsender( ((V + Vreceiver)/V) - 1) ,​

which can be further simplified..

Last edited:

What are significant figures and why are they important?

Significant figures refer to the number of digits in a measurement that are known with certainty. They are important because they indicate the level of precision in a measurement and help to ensure the accuracy of calculations.

What is the difference between significant figures and precision?

The main difference between significant figures and precision is that significant figures are based on the number of digits known with certainty, while precision refers to the level of detail or exactness in a measurement. Precision can be affected by factors such as the instrument used or the skill of the person taking the measurement.

How do significant figures affect calculations?

Significant figures play a crucial role in calculations. When performing calculations, the result should have the same number of significant figures as the measurement with the fewest significant figures. This ensures that the result is not more precise than the original measurement.

What happens when you round a number to a certain number of significant figures?

Rounding a number to a certain number of significant figures means that you are limiting the number of digits in the number to match the level of precision of the measurement. This helps to avoid errors in calculations and ensures that the final result is not more precise than the original measurement.

How do you determine the number of significant figures in a measurement?

To determine the number of significant figures in a measurement, count the number of digits from the first non-zero digit to the last non-zero digit. All non-zero digits are considered significant, while zeros that are between non-zero digits are also significant. Zeros at the beginning of a number or after a decimal point are not significant.