Silicon FCC -- Why are so many atoms shown in the lattice?

In summary: In this lattice, each silicon atom is connected to four neighboring atoms, regardless of the number of atoms in the cell. The purpose of the lattice is to show the arrangement and connections between atoms in a repeating pattern. The shape shown above is the smallest repeating cell, but larger cells can also be used to represent the same lattice.
pj33
TL;DR Summary
Explanation of lattice
https://www.researchgate.net/figure/1-Silicon-crystallographic-structure-It-has-the-diamond-structure-which-is-two-fcc_fig4_34172659 the fcc silicon lattice is shown.
My question is:
Since the silicon atom has 4 valence electrons and requires 4 more to be completed, why are so many atoms shown in the lattice. There are 8 electrons shown as nodes and each of it, is connected to a neighbouring node, thus each silison requires one more to be complete.
Also, what is the difference between the blue-ish and grey atoms?
Sorry for this silly question, but I didnt study chemistry extensively in the past and I find some concepts hard to understand.

Thank you in advance

Attachments

• 1-Silicon-crystallographic-structure-It-has-the-diamond-structure-which-is-two-fcc.png
    1-Silicon-crystallographic-structure-It-has-the-diamond-structure-which-is-two-fcc.png
    20 KB · Views: 137
Physics news on Phys.org
It is not about a compound (in which case electrons/bonds would matter), it is about a lattice - so it has to show the smallest repeatable cell. Note that each atom is connected to four other (just like you expected).

Also: I am not sure what you mean by "electrons shown as nodes".

Blue atoms are those completely inside the cell, grey ones are on the walls and they are shared with neighboring cells, they don't count as whole when counting cell atoms.

The cell shown is not a minimal cell, which would contain only two atoms, one black and the other blue. The black and blue positions cannot be mapped upon each other by a simple shift of the whole lattice, therefore, they are inequivalent. Each Si has 4 covalent bonds to 4 neighbouring atoms.

Last edited:
Borek said:
It is not about a compound (in which case electrons/bonds would matter), it is about a lattice - so it has to show the smallest repeatable cell. Note that each atom is connected to four other (just like you expected).

Also: I am not sure what you mean by "electrons shown as nodes".

Blue atoms are those completely inside the cell, grey ones are on the walls and they are shared with neighboring cells, they don't count as whole when counting cell atoms.
I see, I got it wrong, by "electrons shwon as nodes" I meant the spheres that form the cube, so those are the Si atoms.

DrDu said:
The cell shown is not a minimal cell, which would contain only two atoms, one black and the other blue. The black and blue positions cannot be mapped upon each other by a simple shift of the whole lattice, therefore, they are inequivalent. Each Si has 4 covalent bonds to 4 neighbouring atoms.
Can you explain this in a bit more detail please.
I though this correspond to the configuration of the minimum number of atoms thus all of the to have a complete outer layer.
Correct me if I am wrong, but since the Si atom has 4valence electrons and it needs 4 more to be complete, doesn't this mean that it needs at least 4 more atoms thus the most efficient shape possible is the one shown above. Can 2 Si atoms be suffiecient by sharing 8 electrons simultaneously?
If this is true, then what does the above shape mean/ porpuse?

The number of atoms in a cell is not directly related to the number of bonds, as bonds may exist between atoms in different cells.

1. Why is silicon FCC (face-centered cubic) the most commonly used crystal structure?

Silicon FCC is the most commonly used crystal structure because it has a close-packed arrangement of atoms, making it more stable and less prone to defects. It also has a high melting point and good mechanical properties, making it ideal for use in electronics and other applications.

2. How many atoms are shown in the FCC lattice for silicon?

There are 4 atoms shown in the FCC lattice for silicon. Each corner of the cube contains one atom, and each face contains one atom in the center.

3. Why are there so many atoms shown in the lattice for silicon?

The FCC lattice for silicon shows 4 atoms because it is a representation of the unit cell. The unit cell is the smallest repeating unit of the crystal structure, and in FCC, it contains 4 atoms. Therefore, to accurately depict the structure, all 4 atoms must be shown.

4. Are all silicon crystals FCC?

No, not all silicon crystals are FCC. Silicon can also form other crystal structures such as diamond cubic, hexagonal close-packed, and simple cubic. However, FCC is the most commonly observed structure for silicon due to its stability and usefulness in technology.

5. Can the number of atoms in the FCC lattice for silicon vary?

No, the number of atoms in the FCC lattice for silicon cannot vary. The number of atoms in a unit cell is determined by the crystal structure, and for FCC, it will always be 4 atoms. However, the size of the unit cell can vary, resulting in different densities and properties of the material.