Crystal structures and number of bonds of each atom

In summary, the number of bonds an atom makes in a crystal lattice depends on the type of bond and the crystal structure. For example, in a face-centered cubic structure, silicon makes 4 bonds regardless of its 4 valence electrons. However, for ionic bonds, the arrangement is based on the ionic radii of the elements present, while for covalent bonds within molecules, the crystal structure is determined by the topological packing of adjacent molecules.
Helena Wells
Is there a general rule for a crystal structure how many bonds each atom in the crystal lattice will make ?For example Si has a face centered cubic structure so it makes 4 bonds regardless of the fact Si has 4 valence electrons?

Physics news on Phys.org
You just count the number of nearest neighbours, no? Silicon has a face-centred cubic structure with a two atom motif ##\{ (0,0,0), (\frac{1}{4},\frac{1}{4},\frac{1}{4}) \}## attached to each lattice point, so the coordination polyhedra in that structure are tetrahedral.

Likes Helena Wells
etotheipi said:
You just count the number of nearest neighbours, no? Silicon has a face-centred cubic structure with a two atom motif ##\{ (0,0,0), (\frac{1}{4},\frac{1}{4},\frac{1}{4}) \}## attached to each lattice point, so the coordination polyhedra in that structure are tetrahedral.
What do you mean by a 'two atom motif'?I don't know crystal structures very well.

Likes etotheipi
etotheipi said:
Do all chemical elements which its solid crystal structure is face-centered cubic its atoms make 4 covalent bonds?

Helena Wells said:
What do you mean by a 'two atom motif'?I don't know crystal structures very well.

Ah, yes sorry, I should have explained better.

A lattice is a set of purely mathematical points in space such that every lattice point is exactly equivalent (that last part is an important constraint - you only get 14 such "Bravais" lattices). They're generated by translations ##\mathbf{R}_{UVW} = U \mathbf{a} + V \mathbf{b} + W \mathbf{c}## for integers ##U, V, W##. The vectors ##\mathbf{a}##, ##\mathbf{b}## and ##\mathbf{c}## are called primitive vectors, or basis vectors.

You get a crystal structure by convoluting the lattice with a certain "motif". A motif is just a set of atoms which you attach to every lattice point. A motif could be as simple as a single atom, or as complicated as hundreds of atoms attached to every lattice point (complicated biological structures, for example!).

So it's important to distinguish between the lattice (purely mathematical set of points), and the crystal structure (lattice convoluted with actual stuff).

Helena Wells said:
Do all chemical elements which its solid crystal structure is face-centered cubic its atoms make 4 covalent bonds?

I don't think so, no. For example ##\gamma##-iron has a coordination number of 12, I think, but has an underlying FCC lattice.

Also, I'm not sure if it's best to say that the atoms are covalently bonded to each other, at least not in the general case. Perhaps someone else can advise :smile:

Likes Helena Wells
etotheipi said:
Ah, yes sorry, I should have explained better.

A lattice is a set of purely mathematical points in space such that every lattice point is exactly equivalent (that last part is an important constraint - you only get 14 such "Bravais" lattices). They're generated by translations ##\mathbf{R}_{UVW} = U \mathbf{a} + V \mathbf{b} + W \mathbf{c}## for integers ##U, V, W##. The vectors ##\mathbf{a}##, ##\mathbf{b}## and ##\mathbf{c}## are called primitive vectors, or basis vectors.

You get a crystal structure by convoluting the lattice with a certain "motif". A motif is just a set of atoms which you attach to every lattice point. A motif could be as simple as a single atom, or as complicated as hundreds of atoms attached to every lattice point (complicated biological structures, for example!).

So it's important to distinguish between the lattice (purely mathematical set of points), and the crystal structure (lattice convoluted with actual stuff).
I don't think so, no. For example ##\gamma##-iron has a coordination number of 12, I think, but has an underlying FCC lattice.

Also, I'm not sure if it's best to say that the atoms are covalently bonded to each other. Perhaps someone else can advise :smile:
Ok thanks!In crystal structures made of 1 chemical element they are covalently bonded.

Likes etotheipi
Yeah sorry I couldn't be of more help haha, maybe someone else can add something. There's a few chapters in Ashcroft/Mermin about crystal structures that might be worth taking a look at if you're interested.

Likes berkeman and Helena Wells
Helena Wells said:
Is there a general rule for a crystal structure how many bonds each atom in the crystal lattice will make ?For example Si has a face centered cubic structure so it makes 4 bonds regardless of the fact Si has 4 valence electrons?
If that was the case NaCl would fall apart due to lack of bonds.
It will depend on the bond type.

An ionic bond will share the available electrons with the cloud and so will pack based on the ionic radii of the elements present. Pure metals tend to crystalise in a close packed maximum density arrangement.

A covalent bond within a molecule will pass electrons along the molecular network, tunneling across gaps etc. But those covalent molecules will crystalise in structures dictated by the topological packing of adjacent molecules, held together by weaker forces.

The crystal structure of silicium is also called the diamond structure, as like in diamond, each atom has four nearest neighbours with which it shares 4 covalent bonds.
Furthermore, while you may call bonds in substances made up from only one element covalent, in the case of metals, these bonds will be highly electron deficient and not of the usual 2 electron per bond type. They are therefore called "metallic bonds" or "delocalized bonds" and the number of next neighbours is usually much higher in metals than the number of valence electrons.

Likes dRic2 and nasu

1. What is a crystal structure?

A crystal structure is the unique arrangement of atoms, ions, or molecules in a crystalline solid. It determines the physical and chemical properties of the material.

2. How are crystal structures determined?

Crystal structures are determined through various techniques such as X-ray crystallography, electron diffraction, and neutron diffraction. These methods allow scientists to visualize the arrangement of atoms in a crystal and determine the unit cell, which is the repeating unit of the crystal structure.

3. What is the significance of the number of bonds for each atom in a crystal structure?

The number of bonds for each atom in a crystal structure is significant because it determines the stability and strength of the crystal. The more bonds an atom has, the stronger its connection to other atoms and the more stable the crystal will be.

4. Can the number of bonds for each atom in a crystal structure change?

Yes, the number of bonds for each atom in a crystal structure can change. This can occur through chemical reactions or physical processes such as heating or cooling. These changes can alter the crystal structure and its properties.

5. How does the crystal structure affect the properties of a material?

The crystal structure plays a crucial role in determining the physical and chemical properties of a material. It affects properties such as density, melting point, hardness, and conductivity. Different crystal structures can result in different properties for the same material, making crystal structure an important factor in material science.