1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Silly doubt about thermodynamics: molar representation

1. Jan 29, 2012 #1
    Well, I have a doubt about something that I've found in the book. It's really silly, but it's been bothering me for a while, so perhaps you can help me to understand this.

As you should know, the fundamental equation of a system can be represented in the entropic representation as a function S(U,V,N). And this function is a homogeneous first order function of the extensive parameters. That is, if all the extensive parameters of a system are multiplied by a constant , the entropy is multiplied by this same constant.

[tex]S(\lambda U,\lambda V, \lambda N)=\lambda S(U,V,N)[/tex]

Then one can take [tex]\lambda=1/N[/tex] to obtain [tex]S(U,V,N)=NS(U/N,V/N,1)[/tex]
    U/N is the energy per mole, and is denoted by u. Similarly V/N is the volume per mole, denoted by v, and S/N is the entropy per mole.

S(U/N,V/N,1) is the entropy of a system of a single mole, denoted s(u,v).
    S(U,V,N)=Ns(u,v).

I think that the previous ideas are clear to me. But then I found some difficulties with some examples.

I have that the entropy per mole of a system is:
    [tex]s=4A^{-1/2}u^{1/4}v^{1/2}+s_0[/tex]
    A is just a constant.
    Then the entropy for all the moles in the system according to the book is:

[tex]S=4A^{-1/2}U^{1/4}V^{1/2}N^{1/4}+Ns_0[/tex]

I don't know where the N1/4 comes from. I know I'm not understanding this clearly, because as I think it, there would be no N's at all, and that's just wrong. As I'm reasoning this, I just multiply by N the left side of the equation to obtain the big S, and then in the other side I can do the same, or multiply each U and V by N. If I just multiply everything by N I would get:
    [tex]S=4NA^{-1/2}u^{1/4}v^{1/2}+Ns_0[/tex]
    and if I multiply U and V by N I would get:
    [tex]S=4A^{-1/2}U^{1/4}V^{1/2}+s_0[/tex]

I don't know what I'm doing wrong, and I don't know how to get that N1/4 on it's place. What's so wrong with my reasoning?

Last edited: Jan 29, 2012
  2. jcsd
  3. Jan 30, 2012 #2

Päällikkö

Homework Helper

N u^1/4 v^1/2 = N (U/N)^1/4 (V/N)^1/2 = U^1/4 V^1/2 N^1/4, right? Sorry for not using latex, on mobile.

4. Jan 30, 2012 #3
    Thank you :)

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook