Silly Matrix Algebra/Regression Question

• Thread starter Weather Freak
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Matrix
In summary, the person is seeking help with a linear regression problem involving matrices. They have found the coefficients and are trying to use them to find X as a function of Y, but the traditional algebraic approach does not work in matrix-land. They have tried a different approach, but are unsure if it is correct. They are seeking more details and assistance with the numerics of the problem.
Weather Freak
So I have what I think is going to be a silly matrix algebra question.

I'm performing a linear regression, using standard matrix algebra:

Y = XA (all are matrices)

I have found my coefficients (A) and now I wish to use that information to get X as a function of Y.

If this were a normal algebraic equation, I'd have X = Y/A, but that doesn't make sense in matrix-land.

I've tried: Y * A' * inv(A * A') = X, but that doesn't give me numbers which make any sense.

Can anyone help me clear this up? I'm sure it's not too difficult... thanks!

EDIT: I suppose it might be useful to give some matrix dimensions, but I think the algebra should be the same no matter what... A = (10x144), X = (1x10), Y = (1x144)

Physics news on Phys.org
The approach you are taking (so-called "normal equations") will often work, although in general it isn't good from a numerics perspective, expecially for a large number of unknowns. I think we need more details in order to help.

How do you know that the results make no sense?

What exactly are your basis functions (powers, othogonal polynomials, or ...)? In other words, what does A look like, and what is the condition of A*A' ? It could be that A*A' is poorly conditioned.

Also, how are you doing the numerics? Did you write you own software or are you using some well established library/application? single precision or double?

jason

If you take the transpose of the equation, you are left with a linear equation [itex]A^Tx^T = y^T[/itex]which can be solved in numerous ways. Your suggestion is one of them.

1. What is silly matrix algebra/regression?

Silly matrix algebra/regression is a tongue-in-cheek term used to describe nonsensical or illogical mathematical operations or models. It is often used in a humorous context.

2. Is silly matrix algebra/regression a legitimate field of study?

No, silly matrix algebra/regression is not a legitimate field of study in mathematics. It is simply a play on words and not a recognized area of research.

3. Can silly matrix algebra/regression be used for serious data analysis?

No, silly matrix algebra/regression is not a reliable or valid method for data analysis. It is not based on sound mathematical principles and should not be used for serious purposes.

4. Are there any real-world applications for silly matrix algebra/regression?

No, silly matrix algebra/regression has no practical applications in real-world scenarios. It is purely a joke and should not be used for any serious purposes.

5. Why is the term "silly" used in relation to matrix algebra/regression?

The term "silly" is used to convey the idea that the mathematical operations or models being described are absurd or ridiculous. It is not meant to be taken seriously.