Silly question, could use some assistance

• Thread starter csprof2000
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Assistance
In summary, it is an open problem whether the sum of the inverses of odd integers can always be an integer.
csprof2000
If you add up inverses of odd numbers, can you get an even integer?
Of course, I mean you only use each odd integer once... so 1/3 * 6 doesn't work.

I remember seeming to think that if this could be proved impossible, one could provide an elementary proof of Fermat's last theorem. Undoubtedly false then as it is now, but...

Thoughts? Is this a rabbit hole? Or can you prove / disprove the adding up inverses of odd integers thing?

Physics news on Phys.org
csprof2000 said:
If you add up inverses of odd numbers, can you get an even integer?

It's an open problem. The special case n = 2 corresponds the the existence of odd perfect numbers.

CRGreathouse said:
The special case n = 2 corresponds the the existence of odd perfect numbers.

Could you elaborate on that? I don't see how

[tex]\frac{1}{2n+1}+\frac{1}{2m+1}=2k[/tex]

could have any nontrivial solution.

Sorry for not being clear. Exhibiting an odd perfect number would give a set of odd integers whose inverses would sum to 2. I didn't mean for there to be only two terms. In fact, the number of terms for this special case would be at least 3^8 (75 - 16 + 1) = 393,660.

It is known--and found in elementary books--that the sum of successive integers:

[tex] \sum_{n=1}^{n=k}\frac{1}{n}[/tex] is never an integer for k greater than 1.

Last edited:
robert Ihnot said:
It is known--and found in elementary books--that the sum of successive integers:

[tex] \sum_{n=1}^{n=k}\frac{1}{n}[/tex] is never an integer for k greater than 1.

I believe that's even known starting from an arbitrary positive integer, not just 1.

My post was addressing the possibility of nonconsecutive odds.

Oh yes, I don't require that they be consecutive. Sorry for the confusion.

I'm frustrated that I can't remember how this was connected to FLT. I sincerely doubt the relationship was even correct, much less that it would have been an iff chain the likes of which could be used to prove anything.

Good times...

What is considered a "silly" question in science?

A silly question in science is one that is not relevant to the topic being discussed or has already been answered. It may also be a question that is based on false assumptions or lacks logical reasoning.

Why is it important to ask questions in science?

Asking questions is crucial in science as it allows for a deeper understanding of concepts and helps to uncover new ideas and theories. It also helps scientists to identify any gaps in knowledge and further their research.

How can I improve my questioning skills in science?

To improve your questioning skills in science, you can practice active listening, critically analyze information, and ask open-ended questions that encourage further discussion and exploration.

Is there such a thing as a "stupid" question in science?

No, there is no such thing as a "stupid" question in science. Every question, no matter how basic or seemingly silly, has the potential to lead to new discoveries and understanding.

What should I do if I am too embarrassed to ask a question in science?

If you are too embarrassed to ask a question in science, you can try writing down your question and discussing it with a friend or teacher. You can also do further research on the topic to gain a better understanding before asking your question. Remember, there is no shame in asking for clarification or seeking knowledge.