Simon Fraser University for Undergrad Math

In summary, the individual is looking to apply to Canadian universities for an undergraduate degree in Mathematics and Computer Science. Their first choice, University of Toronto, is too expensive for them as an international student. They have narrowed down their options to smaller liberal arts/sciences universities and one larger university, Simon Fraser. They are specifically looking for information on the mathematics/computer science department at Simon Fraser and are also considering the University of Oslo in Norway. An advisor from Simon Fraser University provides information on the strength of their mathematics department and the opportunities for collaboration and research within the field.
cjwalle
Hiya,

I'm currently applying to Canadian universities for an undergrad degree in Mathematics (Combined with Computer Science somehow). My first choice would be University of Toronto, but that costs beyond what I am able and willing to pay for an undergraduate degree as an international student, in addition to giving less IB transfer credit than other universities.

I've narrowed it down to a few small Liberal Arts/Sciences unis (Mount Allison, Acadia, St. Francis Xavier) and one bigger university that I think looks great: Simon Fraser.

I know it's well ranked overall, and I know its business program is good. However, I do not know much about their mathematics/CS department. Can anyone fill me in?

Physics news on Phys.org
I guess I could add that I'm also considering the University of Oslo in Norway. Anyone actually know whether or not they have an internationally respected Maths department?

Hi cjwalle,

I'm an advisor in the Faculty of Science at Simon Fraser University. SFU is a very strong school for Mathematics and particularly for applied mathematics (although that isn't the only area). You've probably also seen that we have a Joint major in Math and computing, which would appear to fit nicely with your interests.

SFU is also ranked in the top 100 universities worldwide for mathematics - global rankings don't tend to tell you much about the student experience, though - they just tell you that the faculty are being published extensively in international journals.

At SFU, there is also the Interdisciplinary Research Centre in Mathematics and Computational Sciences, which collaborates with researchers across the planet. There is a nifty tool on their website that uses Google Earth to show the extent of this collaboration: http://www.irmacs.sfu.ca/collaborations/home (select "global collaboration at Left). I've advised a number of undergraduate students who have worked in this centre and done really interesting project in Math and Computing.

If you want any more information about the math department specifically, you can email me at: stephen_price@sfu.ca.

Good luck selecting a university!

All the best,

Stephen Price
Faculty of Science
Simon Fraser University

What is the acceptance rate for Simon Fraser University's Undergraduate Math program?

According to the university's website, the acceptance rate for the Undergraduate Math program at Simon Fraser University is approximately 70%.

What is the average class size for math courses at Simon Fraser University?

The average class size for math courses at Simon Fraser University varies depending on the level of the course. However, the university prides itself on small class sizes, with an overall average of 35 students per class.

Are there opportunities for research or internships in the Undergraduate Math program at Simon Fraser University?

Yes, there are many opportunities for undergraduate students to participate in research and internships in the math program at Simon Fraser University. The university has a strong focus on experiential learning and offers a variety of research and internship opportunities for students to gain hands-on experience in their field.

What kind of career prospects can I expect with a degree in math from Simon Fraser University?

Graduates from Simon Fraser University's Undergraduate Math program have a wide range of career options, including roles in data analysis, finance, education, and research. The university also offers career services for students to help them explore and prepare for their future career paths.

What are the requirements for admission into the Undergraduate Math program at Simon Fraser University?

To be considered for admission into the Undergraduate Math program at Simon Fraser University, applicants must meet the general admission requirements for the university, as well as specific requirements for the program. This includes a strong background in math and science courses and a competitive average in high school or previous post-secondary studies.