Which University is good for physics and computer science?

In summary: Of course there are exceptions, but in general, it is not common for students to stay at the same university for both their undergraduate and PhD studies. It is more common for students to go to a different university for their PhD in order to gain a broader perspective and experience different research environments. However, if you do choose to stay at the same university, it is important to make sure that the university has a strong reputation and resources in your field of study.
ujjwal3097
Hi
I have been admitted to University of Toronto[ Trinity college] and McGill University as an international student for physics major. I am planning to do double major in computer science and physics. I want to know which university is better for these subject at an undergrad level.
I have to pay 10,000 CAD extra for University of Toronto. I am bit confused will that extra 10,000 bucks will be worth it knowing that McGil is cheaper and as good as UofT. Please Guys help me out in this one.

Physics news on Phys.org
You probably saw this coming, but how do you define "better"? Better for me is likely not better for you. Better bars? Better dating scene? Better computing resources? Better grad school prospects? What do you want out of your education?

Likes ujjwal3097
DrSteve said:
You probably saw this coming, but how do you define "better"? Better for me is likely not better for you. Better bars? Better dating scene? Better computing resources? Better grad school prospects? What do you want out of your education?
For me better is:
better academics
better faculty
better students body
better research opportunities
better faculty and students interaction possibilities
better resources
Overall Better academic atmosphere and better education
I will go for masters so Please take that into factor as well.

OK. Now I'm going to throw it back on you. You applied to those two schools and got accepted. What appealed to you about each? Have you looked into co-op opportunities, industry connections, their respective career resource centers?

DrSteve said:
OK. Now I'm going to throw it back on you. You applied to those two schools and got accepted. What appealed to you about each? Have you looked into co-op opportunities, industry connections, their respective career resource centers?
As i told you i am going for masters and then Phd so for now i don't need worry about the industry connection. Co-op opportunities are almost similar but i want to know which is better universities better than other for an undergrad student.

You didn't write that you were going for a PhD. You wrote "I will go for masters so.." In any event, you likely won't go to either university for your PhD if you go there for your undergraduate degree.

DrSteve said:
You didn't write that you were going for a PhD. You wrote "I will go for masters so.." In any event, you likely won't go to either university for your PhD if you go there for your undergraduate degree.
Yup that's true sir.

To the OP:

In terms of all of the criteria you used to determine quality in post # 3, U of T and McGill are practically identical. Both universities are well renowned in both computer science and physics (both academically and in research), with successful students in both schools going on to pursue graduate studies. So on those two issues, it really would not matter which school you go to.

I should also add that both schools are located in ethnically diverse, culturally rich cities (Toronto, McGill), with lots of things to see and do, so you have that going for both schools.

So then the question comes down to cost. As an international student, I would have figured that tuition for both schools would be about the same (the situation is different for domestic students), but it appears that U of T is more expensive by around $10,000 CAD in tuition (not to mention that off-campus housing is overall less expensive in Montreal than in Toronto -- don't know about on-campus housing). So if you are thinking about cost alone, then McGill may be a better choice.

DrSteve said:

Not necessarily true. I have known many students who have completed both their undergraduate and their PhD in STEM fields like math, physics or computer science from both schools.

StatGuy2000 said:
Not necessarily true. I have known many students who have completed both their undergraduate and their PhD in STEM fields like math, physics or computer science from both schools.

That's why I used the caveat "likely".

1. What are the top universities for studying physics and computer science?

The top universities for studying physics and computer science are Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT), Stanford University, California Institute of Technology (Caltech), Harvard University, and University of California, Berkeley.

2. How do these universities rank in terms of their physics and computer science programs?

According to the QS World University Rankings, MIT ranks #1 for both physics and computer science, followed by Stanford University at #2 for physics and #3 for computer science. Caltech ranks #2 for computer science and #3 for physics, while Harvard University ranks #3 for physics and #6 for computer science. University of California, Berkeley ranks #3 for computer science and #11 for physics.

3. What makes these universities stand out for physics and computer science?

These universities have a strong focus on research and cutting-edge technology, with well-resourced labs and facilities. They also have highly qualified and experienced faculty members who are experts in their respective fields. Additionally, they offer a wide range of courses and opportunities for hands-on learning and internships, allowing students to develop practical skills and gain real-world experience.

4. Are there any other universities that are highly ranked for physics and computer science?

Yes, there are many other universities that are highly ranked for physics and computer science, such as University of Oxford, Princeton University, University of Cambridge, and ETH Zurich. These universities also have strong academic programs, research opportunities, and experienced faculty members in the field of physics and computer science.

5. How can I choose the best university for studying physics and computer science?

There is no one "best" university for studying physics and computer science, as it ultimately depends on your personal preferences and goals. However, you can consider factors such as the university's reputation, program offerings, faculty expertise, research opportunities, and campus resources. It's also important to visit the university, attend information sessions, and speak to current students or alumni to get a better sense of the university's culture and community.