1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Admissions Which University is good for physics and computer science?

1. Apr 15, 2016 #1
    Hi
    I have been admitted to University of Toronto[ Trinity college] and McGill University as an international student for physics major. I am planning to do double major in computer science and physics. I want to know which university is better for these subject at an undergrad level.
    I have to pay 10,000 CAD extra for University of Toronto. I am bit confused will that extra 10,000 bucks will be worth it knowing that McGil is cheaper and as good as UofT. Please Guys help me out in this one.

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 16, 2016 #2

DrSteve

Gold Member

You probably saw this coming, but how do you define "better"? Better for me is likely not better for you. Better bars? Better dating scene? Better computing resources? Better grad school prospects? What do you want out of your education?

4. Apr 16, 2016 #3
    For me better is:
    better academics
    better faculty
    better students body
    better research opportunities
    better faculty and students interaction possibilities
    better resources
    Overall Better academic atmosphere and better education
    I will go for masters so Please take that into factor as well.

5. Apr 16, 2016 #4

DrSteve

Gold Member

OK. Now i'm going to throw it back on you. You applied to those two schools and got accepted. What appealed to you about each? Have you looked into co-op opportunities, industry connections, their respective career resource centers?

6. Apr 16, 2016 #5
    As i told you i am going for masters and then Phd so for now i don't need worry about the industry connection. Co-op opportunities are almost similar but i want to know which is better universities better than other for an undergrad student.

7. Apr 16, 2016 #6

DrSteve

Gold Member

You didn't write that you were going for a PhD. You wrote "I will go for masters so.." In any event, you likely won't go to either university for your PhD if you go there for your undergraduate degree.

8. Apr 16, 2016 #7
    Yup that's true sir.

9. Apr 20, 2016 #8

StatGuy2000

Education Advisor

To the OP:

In terms of all of the criteria you used to determine quality in post # 3, U of T and McGill are practically identical. Both universities are well renowned in both computer science and physics (both academically and in research), with successful students in both schools going on to pursue graduate studies. So on those two issues, it really would not matter which school you go to.

I should also add that both schools are located in ethnically diverse, culturally rich cities (Toronto, McGill), with lots of things to see and do, so you have that going for both schools.

So then the question comes down to cost. As an international student, I would have figured that tuition for both schools would be about the same (the situation is different for domestic students), but it appears that U of T is more expensive by around $10,000 CAD in tuition (not to mention that off-campus housing is overall less expensive in Montreal than in Toronto -- don't know about on-campus housing). So if you are thinking about cost alone, then McGill may be a better choice.

10. Apr 20, 2016 #9

StatGuy2000

Education Advisor

Not necessarily true. I have known many students who have completed both their undergraduate and their PhD in STEM fields like math, physics or computer science from both schools.

11. Apr 20, 2016 #10

DrSteve

Gold Member

That's why I used the caveat "likely".

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted