Simple AC circuit theory problem

In summary, the problem involves a simple AC circuit with a 100ohm resistor and a 10mH inductor connected in series. The voltage is given as a function and the task is to find the peak current in the circuit. The solution involves using the equation I = V/Z, where Z is calculated using the formula Z = sqrt (R^2 + XL^2). The frequency can be found using the formula f = 5000/2pi and no integration is required.
backstance

Homework Statement

It's a simple AC circuit with a 100ohm resistor and a 10mH inductor connected in series. The voltage is given as a function rather than a quantity: V = 20sin (5000t).

Problem asks to find the peak current in the circuit.

Homework Equations

i = integral (V/L)dt
Z = sqrt (R2 + XL2
V=IZ

The Attempt at a Solution

Is it as simple as saying the peak voltage is 20V and the frequency is f = 5000/2pi , and then solving it like a normal AC circuit? Or is any integration required, or anything similar? I am quite clueless, any help would be appreciated thanks :)

Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF.

Looks like you are on the right track, assuming you know how to calculate XL for the inductor.

thanks I've got it... I = V/Z... z= r+j(wl).. just didnt realize it's that simple.

1. What is a simple AC circuit?

A simple AC circuit is a circuit that consists of a power source, a load, and a switch, all connected in a closed loop. It allows the flow of alternating current (AC) through the circuit, which is the type of electricity commonly used in households and commercial buildings.

2. What is the difference between AC and DC circuits?

The main difference between AC and DC circuits is the direction of the current flow. In AC circuits, the current alternates direction, while in DC circuits, the current flows in one direction only. Additionally, AC circuits use transformers to change the voltage, while DC circuits use converters.

3. How do you calculate the voltage in a simple AC circuit?

The voltage in a simple AC circuit can be calculated using Ohm's law, which states that voltage is equal to the product of current (I) and resistance (R). In AC circuits, voltage is also affected by the frequency and phase of the current.

4. What is the purpose of a capacitor in a simple AC circuit?

A capacitor is used in a simple AC circuit to store and release electrical energy. It helps to smooth out fluctuations in the voltage and current, making the circuit more efficient and stable.

5. How can I troubleshoot a simple AC circuit that is not working?

First, check all the connections to make sure they are secure and free of any damage. Then, use a multimeter to test the voltage and current at different points in the circuit. If there is no voltage or current, check the power source and replace any faulty components. If there is voltage and current, but the load is not working, check the load for any damage or defects.