Simple Acceleration-Distance runner problem doesn't self-check

• Thread starter Head_Unit
  • Start date
In summary, the problem is that the mathematician is confused by the second equation in the problem. They were trying to solve for t from X=Vo*t+0.5*a*t^2, but the problem is that the X in the equation is actually the distance run, not the time it takes to run that distance. If they had written, "A runner crosses the finish line at 10 m/s", the problem would have been much easier to solve.
Head_Unit
Hi Folks: I am puzzled by this problem; there must be something wrong but I can't see what...

1. The problem statement: "A runner enters the last 200 m of a race running 6 m/s. She accelerates at 0.2 m/s2 &crosses the finish line at 10 m/s. What is her time for the last 200 m?"

2. Homework Equations : "(HINT: use V-V0=a*t to find time. Then use X = Vo*t + 0.5*a*t^2 to get t)."

The Attempt at a Solution

:
V-V0=a*t --> 10-6=0.2*t --> 4=0.2*t --> t=4÷0.2=20s.
That self-checks: V-V0=a*t --> V-6=0.2*20 --> V=4+6=10m/s

But the second part is more problematic. X is the distance; I plug in the 20s from the first equation.

X = Vo*t + 0.5*a*t^2[/B]
X = 6*20 +0.5*0.2*(20^2)
X = 120+0.01*400 = 120+40 = 160...instead of 200 as it should be!

It's also possible to put X=200 from the problem, and solve a quadratic for t, but that is a big pain in the rear. Anyway, I am really wondering what silly step I am missing that part 2 gives me 160 instead of 200??!

Physics news on Phys.org
Head_Unit said:
Hi Folks: I am puzzled by this problem; there must be something wrong but I can't see what...

1. The problem statement: "A runner enters the last 200 m of a race running 6 m/s. She accelerates at 0.2 m/s2 &crosses the finish line at 10 m/s. What is her time for the last 200 m?"

2. Homework Equations : "(HINT: use V-V0=a*t to find time. Then use X = Vo*t + 0.5*a*t^2 to get t)."

The Attempt at a Solution

:
V-V0=a*t --> 10-6=0.2*t --> 4=0.2*t --> t=4÷0.2=20s.
That self-checks: V-V0=a*t --> V-6=0.2*20 --> V=4+6=10m/s

But the second part is more problematic. X is the distance; I plug in the 20s from the first equation.

X = Vo*t + 0.5*a*t^2
X = 6*20 +0.5*0.2*(20^2)
X = 120+0.01*400 = 120+40 = 160...instead of 200 as it should be!

It's also possible to put X=200 from the problem, and solve a quadratic for t, but that is a big pain in the rear. Anyway, I am really wondering what silly step I am missing that part 2 gives me 160 instead of 200??!
[/B]
The question, as it was written above, is a little vague. If you assume that she starts accelerating at 200 m before the finish line, and continues accelerating until she crosses the finish, the math does not work out and she will cross the finish line at a speed faster than 10 m/s.

One way to interpret the problem such that things work out is that she starts accelerating at some point within the last 200 m of the race, but not necessarily at exactly 200 m before the finish line. If so, the problem statement would be interpreted as, "A runner enters the last 200 m of a race running 6 m/s. At some point within that last 200 m, she accelerates at 0.2 m/s2 and continues accelerating until the finish such that she crosses the finish line at 10 m/s.

On the other hand, it's also possible to interpret the problem such that she starts accelerating at the point 200 m before the finish line, and stops accelerating when she reaches 10 m/s, and finishes the remainder of the distance at a constant 10 m/s. That will lead to a different answer than above. And if that's the case, the problem statement would read, "A runner enters the last 200 m of a race running 6 m/s, at which point she accelerates at 0.2 m/s2 until she reaches a speed of 10 m/s. She continues at that speed until she crosses the finish line."

I don't know which is the correct way to interpret the problem. Perhaps you can solve it both ways and ask your instructor which is the correct interpretation.

Ah, I get it now, thanks. The acceleration was calculated from the velocity change, but the "200 m" stuck on as a fact…but not really calculated. So probably this would be self-consistent if the acceleration was 0.1 m/s^2 or such.

1. What is a simple acceleration-distance runner problem?

A simple acceleration-distance runner problem is a physics problem that involves calculating the motion of a runner, assuming constant acceleration. It typically involves using equations of motion to determine the runner's displacement, velocity, and acceleration over a certain distance or time.

2. What does it mean when a problem doesn't self-check?

When a problem doesn't self-check, it means that there is no way to verify the answer without using external information or a different method. In the case of a simple acceleration-distance runner problem, this could mean that the calculated values for displacement, velocity, or acceleration do not match up with real-world data or do not follow known laws of motion.

3. Why is self-checking important in scientific problems?

Self-checking is important in scientific problems because it allows for verification of the answer and ensures that the solution is accurate and follows known principles and laws. It also helps to catch any errors or mistakes in the calculations or assumptions made during the problem-solving process.

4. How can I self-check a simple acceleration-distance runner problem?

To self-check a simple acceleration-distance runner problem, you can compare your calculated values for displacement, velocity, and acceleration to real-world data or known laws of motion. You can also try using a different method or approach to see if you get the same results.

5. What are some common mistakes made in simple acceleration-distance runner problems?

Some common mistakes made in simple acceleration-distance runner problems include using incorrect equations, not properly accounting for initial conditions (such as starting velocity or displacement), and making incorrect assumptions about the motion of the runner (such as assuming constant acceleration when it is not the case). It is important to carefully read and understand the problem and double-check all calculations to avoid these mistakes.