Simple Algebra? This is from a 10 year olds homework

In summary: Hi RobThanks for the response. I think I'll stick with the simpler approach for now.Thanks for the help!In summary, a teacher might want a 10 year old to solve this problem by guessing and checking, or by solving the equations in terms of a free variable.
Rob Murphy
OK, either I'm looking at this the wrong way, or this is way above what a 10 year old should be.

Following are 2 equations containing A, B and C. A solution must be found that solves both equations, i.e. A, B and C are the same in each formula. Also, A, B and C must be whole numbers;

C+2A=3B+2

3C+4A=8B

Can anyone find values for A, B and C which solve both equations?

Thanks

Rob

Mathematics news on Phys.org
I would begin by solving both equations for $4A$ to get a relationship between $B$ and $C$...what do you find?

Hi Rob Murphy,

Welcome to MHB! :)

I'll also add that I'm not sure how a teacher would want a 10 year old to go about solving this. With 3 variables (A,B,C) and 2 equations we won't get one answer. There will be an infinite amount of answers. My guess would be they want the children to "guess and check" at this age, but we can find an example solution much faster like Mark is suggesting.

Jameson said:
Hi Rob Murphy,

Welcome to MHB! :)

I'll also add that I'm not sure how a teacher would want a 10 year old to go about solving this. With 3 variables (A,B,C) and 2 equations we won't get one answer. There will be an infinite amount of answers. My guess would be they want the children to "guess and check" at this age, but we can find an example solution much faster like Mark is suggesting.

Thanks guys, I'm glad I hadn't missed anything obvious. I guess the question was not explained enough in that both equations probably don't need to the same values for A, B and C...

If the equations are taken in isolation, it's much easier for a 10 year old to solve by trial and error (posh for guessing...)

However, I'm fairly decent at maths, but I wouldn't know how to approach this in the original context I placed on the question, i.e. how can common values for A, B and C be calculated to solve both equations...

You say there would be an infinite amount of answers?

Could you help me calculate one?

Thanks

Yes, there are an infinite amount of answers because there are 3 unknowns but only two restrictions. That leaves a free variable, as we sometimes call it. Again, this is WAY above what a 10 year old would be doing or at least not how they would be hearing the material.

To solve this problem in a general fashion, what you would do is solve the equations in terms of a free variable. That means if you have $A$ as your free variable, then $B$ would equal something in terms of $A$ and $C$ would equal something in terms of $A$ instead of static numbers. If you plug these equations into Wolfram you'll see that the solutions are in this form.

However this is too much for a 10 year old I think.

What I would do is something like this. Pick $A=1$ and our two equations simplify down to: $C+2=3B+2$ and $3C+4=8B$. Any idea how to solve for $B$ and $C$ now?

Jameson said:
Yes, there are an infinite amount of answers because there are 3 unknowns but only two restrictions. That leaves a free variable, as we sometimes call it. Again, this is WAY above what a 10 year old would be doing or at least not how they would be hearing the material.

To solve this problem in a general fashion, what you would do is solve the equations in terms of a free variable. That means if you have $A$ as your free variable, then $B$ would equal something in terms of $A$ and $C$ would equal something in terms of $A$ instead of static numbers. If you plug these equations into Wolfram you'll see that the solutions are in this form.

However this is too much for a 10 year old I think.

What I would do is something like this. Pick $A=1$ and our two equations simplify down to: $C+2=3B+2$ and $3C+4=8B$. Any idea how to solve for $B$ and $C$ now?

Hi Jameson

I see the breakdown on Wolfram, I'm afraid that's a bit too much for me. Been a while since I did complex algebra.

But can I please ask, can the B=2A-6, C=4A-16 solution be translated into actual, single whole digits; i.e.

A=6
B=8
C=10

(obviously these are incorrect)

I'd just like to be able to see one actual answer.

Thanks

Rob

Yes, I can give you an example answer but without showing how you got there it might be bad. Maybe the teacher just wants an example answer though.

Wolfram Alpha shows that if we take $A$ to be our free variable, then we can solve for $B$ and $C$ and get $B=2A-6$ and $C=4A-16$. So we let $A=1$, then it follows that $B=-4$ and $C=-12$. How can we check that this is a valid solution?

Jameson said:
Yes, I can give you an example answer but without showing how you got there it might be bad. Maybe the teacher just wants an example answer though.

Wolfram Alpha shows that if we take $A$ to be our free variable, then we can solve for $B$ and $C$ and get $B=2A-6$ and $C=4A-16$. So we let $A=1$, then it follows that $B=-4$ and $C=-12$. How can we check that this is a valid solution?

That is superb

C+2A=3B+2
-12+2=-12+2
-10=-10

3C+4A=8B
-36+4=-32
-32=-32

Tremendous

Many thanks

Rob

Here's what I did:

The first equation implies:

\(\displaystyle 4A=6B+4-2C\)

And the second equation implies:

\(\displaystyle 4A=8B-3C\)

Now equating the two expressions for $4A$, we obtain:

\(\displaystyle C=2(B-2)\)

Plugging this into the second equation, we then find:

\(\displaystyle A=\frac{B}{2}+3\)

Thus, for $n\in\mathbb{N}$ (since all solutions must be whole numbers, or non-negative integers), we obtain:

\(\displaystyle (A,B,C)=\left(n+3,2n,4(n-1)\right)\)

Related to Simple Algebra? This is from a 10 year olds homework

1. What is algebra?

Algebra is a branch of mathematics that uses symbols and letters to represent numbers and quantities. It is used to solve equations and understand patterns and relationships between numbers.

2. What are variables in algebra?

Variables in algebra are symbols or letters that represent unknown quantities in an equation. They can take on different values and are used to solve for a specific solution.

3. How do you solve an algebraic equation?

To solve an algebraic equation, you need to isolate the variable on one side of the equation. This can be done by using inverse operations, such as addition and subtraction, to cancel out terms on the same side of the equation. Then, solve for the variable by performing the same operation on both sides of the equation to get the solution.

4. What is the order of operations in algebra?

The order of operations in algebra is the set of rules that determine the order in which operations should be performed in an equation. The acronym PEMDAS is often used to remember the order: parentheses, exponents, multiplication and division (from left to right), and addition and subtraction (from left to right).

5. How is algebra used in real life?

Algebra is used in many real-life situations, such as calculating distances, solving for unknown quantities in a recipe, and predicting patterns in stock market trends. It is also used in various fields of science, including physics, chemistry, and engineering.