SIMPLE and somewhat fun questions I need answers for

• Thread starter noobphysicist
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Fun
In summary, the conversation discusses three different physics questions. The first question involves dropping a rock down a well and determining the depth of the well. The second question relates to the acceleration due to gravity on the Moon and how far an object would fall in 10 seconds. The third question asks about Charlie's average speed while walking to and from a football stadium. The purpose of the conversation is to obtain answers and understanding for these physics problems. However, the forum's rules state that the asker must show their own attempts and efforts before receiving help.
noobphysicist

Homework Statement

1. You drop a rock down a well and hear a splash 3 s later. How deep is the well assuming
that air resistance is negligible and the time needed for sound to travel up the well is also
negligible?

2. The acceleration due to gravity on the Moon is about 1/6 that on Earth. If an object is
dropped near the surface of the Moon, how far does it fall in 10 s?

3. Charlie walks 1 km to the football stadium in 30 minutes, then sits and watches the game
for 2 hours, then walks 1 km home in 30 minutes. What was Charlie’s average speed
while he was gone?I hope this is not a bothersome, but if someone can supply me with the answers + a level of reasoning for any or all 3 of these simple physics questions, I will be in debt to you.

Thanks in advance

Physics news on Phys.org
hi noobphysicist! welcome to pf! :wink:

Show us what you've tried and where you're stuck, and then we'll know how to help! :smile:

(start with the rock)

noobphysicist said:
... if someone can supply me with the answers + a level of reasoning for any or all 3 of these simple physics questions, I will be in debt to you.

You misunderstand the purpose of this forum, and clearly have not read the rules. As tiny-tim said, you are required to show some attempt on your own part. We do not spoon-feed answers, we try to help you learn how to get answers on your own.

Yup, I had not read any of the rules of this forum which are perfectly reasonable. I will surely follow the rules in my next thread should I require help again. However, this post need not be responded to any longer since I've worked out the answers myself after much suffering lol. Thanks guys.

1. Assuming that the speed of sound is approximately 340 m/s, the well must be approximately 510 meters deep. This can be calculated using the formula d = 1/2 * g * t^2, where d is the depth, g is the acceleration due to gravity (9.8 m/s^2), and t is the time (3 seconds).

2. In 10 seconds, the object will fall approximately 1.63 meters on the Moon (compared to 9.8 meters on Earth). This can be calculated using the formula d = 1/2 * g * t^2, where d is the distance, g is the acceleration due to gravity (1.6 m/s^2 on the Moon), and t is the time (10 seconds).

3. Charlie's average speed while he was gone can be calculated by dividing the total distance he walked (2 km) by the total time (3 hours). This gives an average speed of approximately 0.67 km/h.

1. What is the definition of "SIMPLE"?

The word "SIMPLE" can have various meanings depending on the context. In general, it refers to something that is easy to understand or do, uncomplicated, or plain. It can also mean basic or straightforward.

2. How do you make a question "fun"?

One way to make a question fun is to add a playful or humorous tone to it. You can also make it more engaging by including interesting or unexpected elements, such as pop culture references or hypothetical scenarios.

3. Do simple and fun questions have any practical use?

Yes, simple and fun questions can serve as a way to break the ice or start a conversation in social settings. They can also be used in educational or team-building activities to encourage creativity and critical thinking.

4. Can simple and fun questions also be thought-provoking?

Absolutely! Simple and fun questions can still be meaningful and make us think about different perspectives or ideas. They can also lead to interesting discussions and help us learn more about ourselves and others.

5. How can simple and fun questions be incorporated into scientific research?

Simple and fun questions can be used in qualitative research methods, such as interviews or focus groups, to gather data and insights from participants. They can also be included in surveys or experiments to measure attitudes, beliefs, or preferences. Additionally, simple and fun questions can be used as a tool for science communication to engage the public in scientific topics and make them more accessible.