Simple calorimetry lab, thermodynamics

In summary, the experiment involved adding ice to liquid water in a styrofoam cup with a lid and measuring the resulting changes in temperature and volume. The temperature of the water decreased and then rose again after the ice melted. The only physical process taking place was the fusion of ice. Both the ice and the water gained heat during the process. This can be expressed mathematically as Q = mcΔT for the ice and Q2 = mcΔT for the water. The general equation qgain = -qloss can be used to express the overall heat transfer in the system. The ice did not dissolve, but rather melted.
qpham26

Homework Statement

So I did an experiment today.
The procedure is very simple.
First I got a styrofoam cup with a lid, filled it with 50.00ml (V1) of water, assum density ρ = 1.0 g/ml
Then measured the temperature of the water. T1
After that, I added 2-3 small pieces of ice, close the lid quickly. stir till all the ice dissolved, the temperature at first decreased and stay constant for a brief moment and finally rose up again.
I recorded the lowest temperature T2 this is the final temperature for both the ice and the water

Last thing I did was measuring the final volume of the ice + water (V2)

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

These are the series of question (no need for data)
1. what happened to the temperature of the liquid water when ice was added?
It decreased.

2.What happened to the ice? it melted.

3.State the physical processes taking place when ice is added to liquid water.
The only process was the fusion of ice.

4. What two components gain heat when ice is added to liquid water?
The only thing i can say is that pieces of ice gain heat. what is the other thing that could have possibly gain heat beside the ice?

5.Express (4) mathematically. (Use symbols)
I have no idea what they want.
Are they asking for this: Q = mcΔT
m here is the mass of the ice (V2 - V1)
ΔT will be the change in temperature of ice from 0°C to T2
c is just the heat capacity

6. What loses heat when ice is added to liquid water?
The original amount of liquid water lost heat.

7. Express (6) mathematically.
Similar to (5)
Q2 = mcΔT
m here is the mass of the water V1
ΔT will be the change in temperature of water from T1 to T2

8. Express (5) and (7) in the form of the general equation:

qgain = -qloss

for this part, do I just need to plug in the 2 equations?

Sorry for the long post.
Thanks for your time.

Physics news on Phys.org
qpham26 said:
4. What two components gain heat when ice is added to liquid water?

I don't like this question, but I guess what they mean is that not only ice melted, but also something happened to the water produced during melting.

Borek said:
I don't like this question, but I guess what they mean is that not only ice melted, but also something happened to the water produced during melting.

I just thought about that this morning also =)
So heat was added for the solid to turn liquid, and then heat was gained by the newly form liquid water =)

And what about the other parts of this report? Did I get them right?

Thanks for your time.

One other thing caught my attention - ice did not dissolve, it MELTED.

Borek said:
One other thing caught my attention - ice did not dissolve, it MELTED.

haha, i am not sure if that is the write term here, it was used in the lab manual :)

1. What is calorimetry and how does it relate to thermodynamics?

Calorimetry is the science of measuring heat transfer in a system. It is closely related to thermodynamics, which is the study of energy and its transformations. Calorimetry is used to measure changes in energy, such as heat, within a thermodynamic system.

2. Why is a simple calorimetry lab important in the study of thermodynamics?

A simple calorimetry lab allows scientists to measure the heat changes in a system and understand the principles of thermodynamics. It also helps in determining the specific heat capacity and heat of fusion of substances, which are important parameters in thermodynamics.

3. What are the basic components of a simple calorimetry lab?

A simple calorimetry lab typically consists of a calorimeter, which is a container that holds the substance being studied, and a thermometer to measure the temperature changes. It also requires a known amount of substance, such as water, and a heat source, such as a Bunsen burner or electric heater.

4. How is heat transfer measured in a simple calorimetry lab?

Heat transfer is measured by recording the initial and final temperatures of the substance in the calorimeter and calculating the change in temperature. This change in temperature, along with the mass and specific heat capacity of the substance, can be used to calculate the amount of heat transferred.

5. What are some real-world applications of simple calorimetry and thermodynamics?

Simple calorimetry and thermodynamics have numerous real-world applications, such as in the food industry to determine the calorie content of food products, in environmental studies to measure the heat absorption of different materials, and in chemical reactions to understand the energy changes involved. They are also used in the development of efficient energy systems and in the study of climate change.