1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Ice Cubes & Liquid Water - Thermodynamics

1. Jun 14, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Four ice cubes at exactly [itex]0 \ { }^{\circ} \text{C}[/itex] with a total mass of [itex]53.5 \ \text{g}[/itex] are combined with [itex]115 \ \text{g}[/itex] of water at [itex]75 \ { }^{\circ} \text{C}[/itex] in an insulated container. If no heat is lost to the surroundings, what will be the final temperature of the mixture?

2. Relevant equations

No specific formulas. Just basic thermodynamics, as explained in the solution.

3. The attempt at a solution

Magnitude of heat gained by Ice cubes = Magnitude of heat lost by Water
    [itex]4m_{\text{one ice cube}}c_{\text{ice}}(T'-T_{\text{0-ice}})=m_{\text{water}}c_{\text{water}}(T_{\text{0-water}}-T')[/itex]
    From here, I used the numbers in my book and got the wrong answer [below]. :(
    21 Degrees Celsius

Last edited: Jun 14, 2012
  2. jcsd
  3. Jun 14, 2012 #2

Borek

Staff: Mentor

You mean you end with water and ice at 21°C?

4. Jun 14, 2012 #3
    Yes, Sir, but that's my answer, not the correct one.

5. Jun 14, 2012 #4

Borek

Staff: Mentor

Sigh.

Have you ever seen ice at 21°C?

6. Jun 14, 2012 #5
    Ah! I guess I forgot the latent heat. That was obliviously silly. Thanks for helping me through my silliness! I'll re-try the problem once I can and, hopefully, I'll get it right this time around. :) Sorry and thank you, again.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook