Simple circuit. Doubt with potentials

In summary, the conversation is about a person asking for help with a problem from Halliday's book. They have solved the problem using Kirchoff's loop rule and have found that the voltage at the negative of E1 and the voltage at the negative of E2 should be 0 at two points. However, when solving the problem using the usual method, they have found that their equations are incorrect. They ask for an explanation as to why this is the case and are reminded to use the required template when stating their problem.
srmico
Hey everyone!
I'm doing this simple exercice from Halliday's book, where I have to find some intensities at some points...

Ak_EHJr_OTYCppn_CSJOJDvk6_OFLtdnrj_N3_FFEu_A5_Kkmb_T.jpg

anyway after solving it, I realized that only looking at point b,and using Kirchoffs loop rule, the voltage at the negative of E1 and the voltage at the negative of E2(right) should be 0 in both points, then I get the equations:

Vb-0=i1*R1
Vb-0=i2*R1

So i1=+- i2 (the sign can be checked later).

Solving the problem the usual way, i1=2*i2 (solved in the book), which means my equations are wrong, could someone please explain why?

Thank you!

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi Sr, welcome to PF :smile: !

What happened to the template ? Its use is mandatory in PF. It forces you to write a clear problem statement, which now is deerly missing. And to list the variables, un- and known. Give it another try, help is on the way !

And when you restate your problem using the template, explain why you think those points should be at zero volts. It may seem obvious to you, but since it's wrong, it would be helpful to us to understand why you think it's right.

1. What is a simple circuit?

A simple circuit is a basic electrical circuit that is made up of a power source, wires, and a load. It allows for the flow of electricity from the power source to the load, and back to the power source.

2. What is the purpose of potentials in a circuit?

Potentials, also known as voltages, are used to measure the difference in electrical energy between two points in a circuit. This difference in potential is what causes the flow of electrons from the power source to the load.

3. How are potentials measured in a circuit?

Potentials are measured using a voltmeter, which is a device that measures the difference in electrical energy between two points in a circuit. The unit of measurement for potential is volts (V).

4. What is the difference between potential and current in a circuit?

Potential refers to the difference in electrical energy between two points in a circuit, while current refers to the flow of electrons through the circuit. Potential is measured in volts (V), while current is measured in amperes (A).

5. How do changes in potential affect a circuit?

Changes in potential can affect the flow of current in a circuit. If the potential difference increases, the current will also increase. If the potential difference decreases, the current will decrease. This is known as Ohm's Law, which states that the current in a circuit is directly proportional to the potential difference and inversely proportional to the resistance in the circuit.