1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Simple circuit. Doubt with potentials

Tags:
  1. May 11, 2015 #1
    Hey everyone!
    I'm doing this simple exercice from Halliday's book, where I have to find some intensities at some points....

Ak_EHJr_OTYCppn_CSJOJDvk6_OFLtdnrj_N3_FFEu_A5_Kkmb_T.jpg

anyway after solving it, I realized that only looking at point b,and using Kirchoffs loop rule, the voltage at the negative of E1 and the voltage at the negative of E2(right) should be 0 in both points, then I get the equations:

Vb-0=i1*R1
    Vb-0=i2*R1

So i1=+- i2 (the sign can be checked later).

Solving the problem the usual way, i1=2*i2 (solved in the book), which means my equations are wrong, could someone please explain why?

Thank you!

2. jcsd
  3. May 11, 2015 #2

BvU

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Hi Sr, welcome to PF :smile: !

What happened to the template ? Its use is mandatory in PF. It forces you to write a clear problem statement, which now is deerly missing. And to list the variables, un- and known. Give it another try, help is on the way !

4. May 11, 2015 #3

phinds

Gold Member
    2016 Award

And when you restate your problem using the template, explain why you think those points should be at zero volts. It may seem obvious to you, but since it's wrong, it would be helpful to us to understand why you think it's right.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted