1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

(Simple Electromagnetics) A charge placed between 2 charges

1. Jan 12, 2016 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    A charge (q) is placed in-between two other equal charges named Q.
    Q-----q-----Q
    a) If both Q's are positive, is charge q in equilibrium? If yes, is it a stable or unstable equilibrium?
    b) What about if one Q is negative while the other is positive?

3. The attempt at a solution
    a) I think the charge q will be in equilibrium, considering the attraction or repulsion forces will cancel out. However, I have no clue how to know if it is unstable or stable.

b) q will not be in equilibrium, the forces will be in the same direction and thus not cancel out, giving q an acceleration.

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 12, 2016 #2

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

I'm not sure about the answer to a. It depends whether tjis is to be treated as purely a one dimensional problem or whether other dimensions should be taken into account.
    What is the criterion for an equilibrium to be stable?

4. Jan 12, 2016 #3
    It is one-dimensional, and nothing to overthink I believe. It's a first-year intro course so nothing too complicated.

The issue is the criterion wasn't provided, so I'm trying to determine this on my own.

5. Jan 12, 2016 #4

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

A stable equilibrium is one in which the system will tend to return towards the equilibrium position if slightly perturbed from it.
    If the middle charge is pushed a little to one side, will it move back, keep going, or stay where it is put?
    Those three possibilities correspond to stable, unstable, semistable.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted