Simple energy dissipated problem but I can't figure it out

In summary, the correct answer for the energy dissipated by a lamp with a current of 0.3A and a power supply of 6V over a period of 2 minutes is 216J. It is important to remember to include units in equations and to double check calculations for accuracy.
jauser
Hi, I'm new, if I forgot something in asking my question the RIGHT way please direct me to the correct way.

Homework Statement

A current of 0.3A is passed through a lamp for 2 minutes using a 6V power supply. The energy dissipated by this lamp during the 2 minutes is:

Homework Equations

P=VI?

The Attempt at a Solution

So I took V*I=1.8W for Power
And took 1.8W dividing 120s to get 0.015J

BUT the correct answer is 216J, I don't know how that is. Please help, thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
jauser said:
Hi, I'm new, if I forgot something in asking my question the RIGHT way please direct me to the correct way.

Homework Statement

A current of 0.3A is passed through a lamp for 2 minutes using a 6V power supply. The energy dissipated by this lamp during the 2 minutes is:

Homework Equations

P=VI?

The Attempt at a Solution

So I took V*I=1.8W for Power
And took 1.8W dividing 120s to get 0.015J

BUT the correct answer is 216J, I don't know how that is. Please help, thanks.

Welcome to the PF.

Energy is Power * Time. You have the correct equation for power; just fix what you did for the Energy calculation.

BTW, it's best to carry units along in your equations. That way you would have seen that the units weren't coming our right for Joules, and could have seen what you needed to do differently to get Energy units in the answer... :smile:

oh. That was simple. Thanks for the quick reply.

Love, =].

BTW, this page shows you how units like Watts and Joules are made up of the fundamental SI units. You can put these fundamental units in your equations whenever you want to check your work:

http://physics.nist.gov/cuu/Units/units.html

sweet, that'll be very helpful, the Units definitely always mess up my work

jauser said:
sweet, that'll be very helpful, the Units definitely always mess up my work

That was one of the most valuable lessons that I learned early in my undergrad. Get used to carrying units along in your equations, and cancel them out as appropriate just like you do variables (like meters/meters = 1). It helps your intuition about what variables go where (like velocity[m/s] = distance[m]/time), and helps you to catch errors early in equation manipulations.

1. What is energy dissipation?

Energy dissipation is the process of converting energy from one form to another, usually resulting in the loss of some of that energy in the form of heat or sound.

2. Why is it important to solve simple energy dissipation problems?

Solving simple energy dissipation problems allows us to understand how energy is transferred and lost in real-world scenarios. It also helps us to improve energy efficiency and reduce waste.

3. What are some common examples of energy dissipation?

Friction, air resistance, and electrical resistance are all common examples of energy dissipation. These forces convert kinetic energy into heat, sound, or other forms of energy.

4. What factors affect the amount of energy dissipated in a system?

The amount of energy dissipated in a system is affected by the type of material, the speed or velocity of the object, and the surface area or contact between objects.

5. How can energy dissipation be reduced or minimized?

To reduce energy dissipation, one can use materials with low friction or resistance, increase the smoothness of surfaces, and reduce the speed or force applied to the system. Additionally, using more efficient designs and technology can also help to minimize energy dissipation.