Energy dissipated by resistor problem

In summary, the conversation discusses the calculation of energy dissipated by a 10 Ω resistor after 5 seconds. The approach used by the speaker involves finding the average current and using it to calculate the energy. However, the book's approach involves finding the total energy dissipated over the entire 5 seconds and then dividing by the total time. This is because the power generated by the resistor is proportional to the current squared, so the average current cannot be used alone. Additionally, if asked for the power generated by the resistor during the 5 second interval, the correct approach would be to divide the total energy by the total time, as no part of the interval can be neglected.
CynicalBiochemist

Homework Statement

A 10 Ω resistor carries a current that varies as a function of time as shown. How much energy has been dissipated by the resistor after 5 s?
upload_2018-7-26_11-7-37.png

a. 40 J
b. 50 J
c. 80 J
d. 120 J

Homework Equations

I=dq/dt → dq=Idt → Q=∫Idt
P=∇E/∇t and V=IR (Ohm's Law) so P=IV ⇒ P=I^2R

The Attempt at a Solution

My approach[/B]
For the first 5 seconds, the area under the curve is 6C, which is the total charge that was transferred through the resistor. Thus, the average current I=6C/5s=6/5 A
Since P=I^2R and P=E/∇t ⇒ E=I^2R∇t=(6/5A)^2(10Ω)(5s)= 72J
Clearly this is none of the answer choices, and I don't know where I went wrong.

Book's Approach
The book claims that D is correct, and states:
Since the current was 2A over 3s, the total energy dissipated is
E=(2A)^2(10Ω)(3s)=120J

I genuinely don't understand the book's approach. Power is by definition, the rate of energy transfer (in this case transformation to a different form) with respect to time. Here, the power MUST be computed over the 5 seconds in question, regardless of whether there was 0 current passing through for 2 seconds.
Ultimately, why did the book use 3 seconds as ∇t? Is this allowed, and why is my approach flawed?
Thank you all in advance.

Attachments

• upload_2018-7-26_10-45-5.png
    upload_2018-7-26_10-45-5.png
    12.9 KB · Views: 427
  • upload_2018-7-26_11-7-37.png
    upload_2018-7-26_11-7-37.png
    2.5 KB · Views: 931
Physics news on Phys.org
CynicalBiochemist said:
For the first 5 seconds, the area under the curve is 6C, which is the total charge that was transferred through the resistor. Thus, the average current I=6C/5s=6/5 A
Since P=I^2R and P=E/∇t ⇒ E=I^2R∇t=(6/5A)^2(10Ω)(5s)= 72J
Clearly this is none of the answer choices, and I don't know where I went wrong.
You found the average current. But since power is proportional to current squared, to use your approach you'd need the average value of current squared. (Which is not equal to the square of the average current.)

CynicalBiochemist said:
Here, the power MUST be computed over the 5 seconds in question, regardless of whether there was 0 current passing through for 2 seconds.
They did compute the energy over all 5 seconds. Since there was no energy used during the time the current was zero, you can skip that segment.

Doc Al said:
You found the average current. But since power is proportional to current squared, to use your approach you'd need the average value of current squared. (Which is not equal to the square of the average current.)They did compute the energy over all 5 seconds. Since there was no energy used during the time the current was zero, you can skip that segment.
Thanks Doc. I am starting to understand why their approach works for computing energy. But let's say they asked for the power generated by the resistor for the 5 second interval.
Would the answer then be
P=120J/3s= 40W ?
I.e., can we again neglect that 2 second segment where no energy was generated? And if so, why?
Btw I'm sorry if I'm asking trivial questions, I've never been good at physics lol.

CynicalBiochemist said:
But let's say they asked for the power generated by the resistor for the 5 second interval.
Would the answer then be
P=120J/3s= 40W ?
If they asked for the average power over that interval, then the answer would be 120J/5s = 24 W. (That's what I would say.) You cannot neglect any part of the interval if you want the average power over it.

Don't worry about asking trivial questions! Those are the ones that drive you nuts. :smile:

Likes CWatters

1. What is energy dissipation by resistor?

Energy dissipation by resistor refers to the process of converting electrical energy into heat energy as current flows through a resistor. The resistor resists the flow of current, causing some of the electrical energy to be converted into heat and dissipated into the surrounding environment.

2. How is the energy dissipated by a resistor calculated?

The energy dissipated by a resistor can be calculated using the formula E = I2Rt, where E is the energy dissipated (in joules), I is the current (in amperes), R is the resistance (in ohms), and t is the time (in seconds).

3. How does the resistance of a resistor affect energy dissipation?

The higher the resistance of a resistor, the more energy will be dissipated as heat. This is because a higher resistance means a larger voltage drop across the resistor, causing more energy to be converted into heat.

4. Can energy dissipation by a resistor be minimized?

Yes, energy dissipation by a resistor can be minimized by using a resistor with a lower resistance or by reducing the current flowing through the resistor. This can be achieved by using a larger resistor or by using a lower voltage source.

5. What are some common applications of energy dissipation by resistors?

Energy dissipation by resistors is commonly used in electronic devices to regulate and control the flow of current. It is also used in devices such as heaters, toasters, and light bulbs, where the conversion of electrical energy into heat is the desired outcome.