Simple energy question with rotation

In summary, a small solid sphere of mass m and radius r rolls down a hill without slipping and encounters a loop of radius R. The minimum height h to keep the ball on the track throughout the loop can be determined by setting the potential energy at the top of the loop equal to the sum of the kinetic energy and the energy due to rotation. The minimum height can be calculated as h = 11/5 R. To check this result, one can compare it to the minimum height required for a block sliding without friction, and also consider the velocity of the ball at the top of the loop.
oreosama

Homework Statement

a small solid sphere of mass m and radius r starts from rest and rolls down a hill without slipping. the sphere encounters a loop of radius R where R >> r.

Given R determine the min height h such that the ball remains on the track throughout the loop

Homework Equations

I = 2/5 mR^2

ω = v/r

The Attempt at a Solution

highest point requiring most energy is at top of loop:

mgh = mg2R + 1/2 Iω^2

mgh = mg2R + 1/2 * 2/5 m r^2 *v^2/r^2

gh = 2Rg + 1/5*v^2

at top of loop, normal force is 0,

Fy = N + mg
ma = mg

m*v^2/R = mg
v^2 = gR

gh = 2Rg + 1/5 Rg

h = 11/5 R

this is correct?

Physics news on Phys.org
To check your results - it is useful to compare to something:

i.e. If this were a block sliding around the track without friction, then what would the minimum h have to be?
(for the ball, some energy is stored in rotation - so you need to start higher than this.)

How fast is the ball rolling at the top of the hoop?
(i.e. is the kinetic energy a lot or a little more than the potential energy there? says if you should start a little higher or a lot higher.)

oreosama said:
mgh = mg2R + 1/2 Iω^2

Have you included all of the kinetic energy at the top?

1. What is rotational energy?

Rotational energy is the energy associated with an object's rotation. It is a form of kinetic energy that is generated when an object spins or rotates around an axis.

2. How is rotational energy calculated?

Rotational energy is calculated using the formula E = 1/2 * I * ω^2, where E is the rotational energy, I is the moment of inertia, and ω is the angular velocity. The moment of inertia depends on the object's mass, shape, and rotation axis.

3. What are some examples of rotational energy in everyday life?

Some examples of rotational energy in everyday life include spinning tops, rotating tires on a car, swinging a bat, and spinning a bicycle wheel. Any object that rotates or spins has rotational energy.

4. Can rotational energy be converted into other forms of energy?

Yes, rotational energy can be converted into other forms of energy, such as thermal energy or electrical energy. For example, when a car's wheels rotate, they generate heat due to friction, and this heat energy can be used to power the car's engine.

5. How is rotational energy related to angular momentum?

Rotational energy and angular momentum are both properties of a rotating object. The relationship between the two is that the total angular momentum of a system is conserved, meaning it remains constant, unless an external torque is applied. This conservation of angular momentum is a fundamental law of physics.