1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Simple expectation value calculation

1. Jan 15, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

This problem comes from the second edition of Griffiths's, Introduction to Quantum Mechanics.

Given the Gaussian Distribution: p(x) = Aec(x-a)2

find <x>, that is, the expectation (or mean) value of x.

Clearly, to do this you evaluate the following integral: ∫xp(x)dx on (-∞,∞). I've tried performing this integration analytically, and it seems to be more bothersome than a rectal exam. The solution should be x = a since, by definition, p is centered at x = a (this is evident graphically as well). Is a qualitative solution sufficient here? Another method (which obviously does not work in general) is to set p'(x) = 0 and solve for x since we know the Gaussian distrubtion contains only one extremum. Any advice on the best means to proceed?

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 15, 2013 #2

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

∫Axec(x-a)2.dx
    subst x+a for x:
    ∫A(x+a)ecx2.dx = ∫Axecx2.dx + a∫Aecx2.dx
    = (1/2)∫Aecx2.dx2 + a

4. Jan 15, 2013 #3
    I tried this already. Wouldn't the differential be required to change also? That is, dx becomes d(x+a).

Last edited: Jan 15, 2013
  5. Jan 15, 2013 #4
    EDIT* sorry, sorry, the differential is dx'/dx = d/dx[x+a], so dx' = dx.

Last edited: Jan 15, 2013
  6. Jan 15, 2013 #5
    Now let's talk about <x2>, I seem to encounter an indeterminate form upon evaluating the integral at bounds +/- ∞ (see the integral of x2e-cx2)

7. Jan 15, 2013 #6

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

Same substitution gets rid the -a. ∫x2e-cx2.dx (with a suitable multiplier to get total prob of 1) is just var(X), a standard result. To work it out for yourself, use integration by parts.

8. Jan 15, 2013 #7
    I obtain the integral in the attached photo. Obviously there is a problem evaluating it at +/- ∞ because of the second (subtracted) term, no?

Attached Files:

9. Jan 15, 2013 #8

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

The attachment is illegible for me. Much too small. Did you try integration by parts?
    ##\int_{-\infty}^{+\infty} x^2e^{-cx^2}.dx = [x \int^x ye^{-cy^2}.dy]_{-\infty}^{+\infty} - \int_{-\infty}^{+\infty} \left(\int^x ye^{-cy^2}.dy\right) dx ##

10. Jan 15, 2013 #9
    I think you're misunderstanding me. Look here for the integral of interest (the one you're attempting to solve by parts): http://integral-table.com/ and you'll see the "problem" I'm encountering with evaluating the result at +/- infinity.

11. Jan 15, 2013 #10

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

Number (70)? erf(-∞) = -1, erf(+∞) = +1. The other term vanishes at both extremes, leaving √(π/a)/(2a)

12. Jan 15, 2013 #11
    Why does the other term vanish at both extremes? Isn't 0*infinity an indeterminate form?

13. Jan 16, 2013 #12

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

e-x2 tends to zero much faster than x tends to infinity.

Last edited: Jan 16, 2013
  14. Jan 16, 2013 #13
    There's an x multiplied by that too however, i.e. xecx2, so at each extreme it becomes +/- infinity * e^-infinity

Last edited: Jan 16, 2013
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook