1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Simple exponential multiplication (electron interfernce)

1. Jan 8, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Briefly, the question asks to prove how the interference of 2 electrons (travelling in opposite directions as 1-D waves) would affect the probability of finding each electron in free space. My issue has to do with the first step in the solution.

2. Relevant equations

[tex]\Psi_{1}[/tex] = [tex]\Psi_{0}[/tex] [tex]e^{jkx}[/tex]
    [tex]\Psi_{2}[/tex] = [tex]\Psi_{0}[/tex] [tex]e^{-jkx}[/tex] (Note change in direction)

Hence the interference of these two functions will be given by their sum:
    [tex]\Psi_{total}[/tex] = [tex]\Psi_{0}[/tex] [tex]e^{jkx}[/tex] [tex]\Psi_{0}[/tex] ยท [tex]e^{-jkx}[/tex] (i)
    [tex]\Psi_{total}[/tex] = 2[tex]\Psi_{0}[/tex] cos (kx) (ii)

3. The attempt at a solution

I just don't understand how to get (ii) from (i)... thanks for looking!

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 8, 2010 #2
    A correction (You put a multiplication sign instead of an addition one. I think that was your mistake):

[tex]\Psi_{total}=\Psi_0(e^{jkx}+e^{-jkx})[/tex]
    Use Euler's formula, and just see that the imaginary sine terms cancel, while the real cosine terms add up.

[tex]e^{i\theta}=\cos \theta + i\sin \theta[/tex]

4. Jan 8, 2010 #3
    Ah I see! I tend to forget simple steps like that which involve such simple identities. Thanks!
    (PS: That was a typo on my part)

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook