Simple Force Problem (with acceleration and friction)

In summary, the problem involves a 300 kg box being lowered with a downward acceleration of 1.5 m/s^2 by a forklift that is also moving forward with an acceleration of 2 m/s^2. The upward force exerted by the platform on the box is 2490N. The frictional force on the box is unknown and requires knowledge of the force from the tractor. The minimum coefficient of friction can be determined once the frictional force is known. To find the path of the box, two equations of motion can be used and t eliminated to express y as a function of x.
jj2443

Homework Statement

A 300 kg box rests on a platform attached to a forklift. Starting from rest at time t=0, the box is lowered with a downward acceleration of 1.5 m/s^2.
1)Determine the upward force exerted by the horizontal platform on the box as it is lowered.
At time t=0 the forklift also begins to move forward with an acceleration of 2m/s^2 while lowering the box as described above. The box does not slip or tip over.
2) Determine the frictional force on the box.
3) Given that the box does not slip, determine the minimum possible coefficient of friction between the box and the platform.
4) Detmine an equation for the path of the box that expresses y as a function of x (and not of t) assuming that at time t=0, the box has a horizontal position x=0 and a vertical position of y=2m above the ground with zero velocity.

The Attempt at a Solution

I think I got #1 easily enough. I set up a Fnet=m*a equation and found the upward force=2490N.
#2 is giving me a lot of problems. I can't seem to draw the FBD for this setup. Is there a force acting on the box from the tractor as well as a force due to friction? How can we solve for fricitional force if we don't know the force from the tractor? HELP!
#3 I'll be able to solve for coefficient of friction once I know the force of friction.
#4 NO IDEA WHERE TO BEGIN.

Physics news on Phys.org
jj2443 said:
#4 NO IDEA WHERE TO BEGIN.

You'll have two equations of motion. For the horizontal, the equation of motion is (in general):

[tex]x\left(t\right)=x_0+v_xt+\frac{1}{2}a_xt^2[/tex]

For the vertical, it is:

[tex]y\left(t\right)=y_0+v_yt+\frac{1}{2}a_yt^2[/tex]

Can you elminate t between those two equations?

1. What is a simple force problem with acceleration and friction?

A simple force problem with acceleration and friction is a physics concept that involves calculating the net force on an object, taking into account its acceleration and any frictional forces that may be present. This type of problem is commonly used to understand the motion of objects on inclined planes or on surfaces with varying levels of friction.

2. How do you calculate the net force in a simple force problem with acceleration and friction?

To calculate the net force, you must first determine all the forces acting on the object, including gravity, normal force, and frictional force. Then, use Newton's second law of motion (F=ma) to calculate the net force by adding up all the individual forces.

3. What is the role of acceleration in a simple force problem with acceleration and friction?

Acceleration plays a crucial role in these types of problems, as it determines the rate at which the object's velocity changes. It is also a key factor in calculating the net force, as the acceleration is directly proportional to the net force according to Newton's second law.

4. How does friction affect the motion of an object in a simple force problem?

Friction is a force that opposes the motion of an object, making it harder for the object to move across a surface. In a simple force problem, friction can cause the object's velocity to decrease, as it acts in the opposite direction of the object's motion. It is an important factor to consider when calculating the net force and determining the object's overall motion.

5. What are some real-world examples of simple force problems with acceleration and friction?

Examples of simple force problems with acceleration and friction can be found in everyday scenarios, such as a car driving up a hill, a person sliding down a snowy slope, or a book sliding across a table. They can also be seen in more complex systems, such as the motion of planets in space or the movement of a roller coaster along its tracks.