Simple harmonic motion and amplitude

In summary, the problem involves a 2.10-kg block suspended from a spring with a spring constant of 280.0 N/m. A 0.070-kg bullet is fired into the block from directly below with a speed of 220.0 m/s and is embedded in the block. The task is to find the amplitude of the subsequent motion and determine what fraction of the original kinetic energy of the bullet appears as mechanical energy in the system of block-spring-bullet. The suggested approach is to use conservation of momentum on the collision between the bullet and block to find the initial velocity upwards of the block, and then compare the kinetic energy before and after the collision to find the desired fraction.
Dotty21690

Homework Statement

A 2.10-kg block is suspended from a spring with a spring constant of 280.0 N/m. A 0.070-kg bullet is fired into the block from directly below with a speed of 220.0 m/s and is embedded in the block. Find the amplitude of the subsequent motion.

-What fraction of the original kinetic energy of the bullet appears as mechanical energy in the system of block-spring-bullet?

Homework Equations

we are learning about the oscillations and energy. For this question I'm thinking I would need to use E= Kinetic energy + potential energy... (1/2)KA2=(1/2)mv2 + (1/2)Kx2
but I don't know what to do to get started, I am soo lost!

The Attempt at a Solution

Physics news on Phys.org
Start by finding the speed of the "bullet + block" immediately after the bullet embeds itself in the block. What's conserved during that 'collision'?

I suggest using conservation of momentum on the collision between the bullet and block to find the initial velocity upwards of the block.

thanks! but then how would I find part b? would I find the kinetic energy of the bullet and the mechanical energy of the system(in which I would plug back in my value for the amplitude?)

Dotty21690 said:
thanks! but then how would I find part b? would I find the kinetic energy of the bullet and the mechanical energy of the system(in which I would plug back in my value for the amplitude?)
Compare the KE before and after the collision.

1. What is simple harmonic motion?

Simple harmonic motion is a type of periodic motion in which a system, such as a mass on a spring, oscillates back and forth around an equilibrium position. This motion is characterized by a sinusoidal pattern.

2. What is the equation for simple harmonic motion?

The equation for simple harmonic motion is x = A sin(ωt + φ), where x is the displacement from equilibrium, A is the amplitude (maximum displacement), ω is the angular frequency (related to the period of motion), and φ is the phase angle (related to the starting position of the motion).

3. How is amplitude related to simple harmonic motion?

Amplitude is the maximum displacement from equilibrium in simple harmonic motion. It is directly related to the energy of the system and determines the size of the oscillations. A larger amplitude means a greater maximum displacement and a more energetic system.

4. What is the difference between simple harmonic motion and oscillatory motion?

Simple harmonic motion is a specific type of oscillatory motion that follows a sinusoidal pattern. It is characterized by a restoring force that is directly proportional to the displacement from equilibrium. Other types of oscillatory motion may have different patterns and forces acting on the system.

5. What are some real-life examples of simple harmonic motion?

Some real-life examples of simple harmonic motion include a pendulum swinging back and forth, a mass on a spring bouncing up and down, and the motion of a diving board or trampoline. Sound waves and certain types of electronic circuits also exhibit simple harmonic motion.