Simple harmonic motion: mass on a spring is hit by a bullet

In summary, a 4.0kg block is hit by a 50g bullet moving at 150m/s, causing it to undergo simple harmonic motion with an amplitude determined by the equilibrium position of the block and bullet when suspended from a spring with a force constant of 500N/m. The kinetic and potential energies of the system must be considered in order to accurately determine the amplitude.
abobo37

Homework Statement

A 4.0kg block is suspended from a spring with force constant of 500N/m.
A 50g bullet is fired into the block from directly below with a speed of 150m/s and is imbedded in the block.
Find the amplitude of the resulting simple harmonic motion.

Homework Equations

F=-kx
E_p=mgh
E_k=(mv^2)/2
E_pspring=(kx^2)/2
m1v1=m2v2

The Attempt at a Solution

Using conservation of momentum:
0.05(150)=(4+0.05)v2
v2=1.852 m/s

MLYBAGY.png

I am lost on how the decide where the equilibrium position is. Is it the resting position with the block considered the equilibrium position, or is it without the block, or is it with the block and the bullet?

I said that the kinetic energy
0.5*(4.05)(1.852)^2 is equal to 0.5k(x)^2 and completely ignored mgh(potential energy). Then i assumed x is the amplitude. This seems incorrect of course.

Any help would be appreciated, thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
The new equilibrium position will, by definition, be wherever the block with embedded bullet would hang at rest. How does that change your answer?

haruspex said:
The new equilibrium position will, by definition, be wherever the block with embedded bullet would hang at rest. How does that change your answer?

I'm under the assumption that at equlibium
haruspex said:

I am confused on whether i should consider there is already a spring potential on the block, before hit by the bullet, or if it has no spring potential at that point

abobo37 said:
I am confused on whether i should consider there is already a spring potential on the block, before hit by the bullet, or if it has no spring potential at that point
The spring is not relaxed, so it certainly has potential energy then.

I used the position at block+spring as the equilibrium point, and solved it using two methods to get an answer. Even though i didnt consider the block+spring potential energy, since that was my equilibrium point, would my answer be correct?

0G6jxxP.jpg

BnmbBHJ.jpg

Sorry about the pictures instead of latex. I will learn it someday :D

abobo37 said:
I used the position at block+spring as the equilibrium point, and solved it using two methods to get an answer. Even though i didnt consider the block+spring potential energy, since that was my equilibrium point, would my answer be correct?

0G6jxxP.jpg

BnmbBHJ.jpg

Sorry about the pictures instead of latex. I will learn it someday :D
I would take into account that the spring length on impact of bullet is different from the equilibrium length for block+bullet. You can determine the spring PE and GPE of each of those two positions. That will give you a little more KE when subsequently at the equilibrium length. (You can see that by considering what would happen if the bullet had no speed when it stuck to the block. The block+bullet would bob up and down a little.)

I think i see what you mean. I will try to include the GPE as well and see what i end up with.
Thanks!

1. What is simple harmonic motion?

Simple harmonic motion refers to the back and forth movement of an object, such as a mass on a spring, in a constant and repetitive pattern. This motion is caused by the forces of elasticity and inertia.

2. How does a mass on a spring behave when hit by a bullet?

When a bullet strikes a mass on a spring, it causes the spring to compress and then expand back to its original length. This results in the mass oscillating back and forth until it eventually comes to a stop due to friction and air resistance.

3. What factors affect the period of a mass on a spring in simple harmonic motion?

The period of a mass on a spring is affected by the mass of the object, the spring constant, and the amplitude of the motion. A heavier mass, a stiffer spring, and a larger amplitude will result in a longer period of oscillation.

4. How is the energy of a mass on a spring conserved during simple harmonic motion?

The energy of a mass on a spring is conserved during simple harmonic motion because the potential energy stored in the spring is converted to kinetic energy as the mass oscillates back and forth. This process continues until the energy is dissipated due to friction and air resistance.

5. Can the motion of a mass on a spring ever be perfectly simple harmonic?

In theory, the motion of a mass on a spring can be perfectly simple harmonic if there is no external interference or forces acting on the system. However, in reality, there will always be some factors, such as air resistance and imperfections in the spring, that will cause the motion to deviate slightly from being perfectly simple harmonic.