Simple harmonic motion and buoyant force

I am a bit stuck here and I am not sure how to proceed.In summary, the conversation discusses the oscillation of a cylindrical wooden log loaded with lead at one end in water. The length of the submerged portion is given as L = 2.56m, and the problem asks to show that the oscillation is simple harmonic and to find the period of oscillation. The conversation also mentions neglecting the dampening effect of water. The attempt at a solution involves drawing three pictures and considering two cases of equilibrium and displacement from equilibrium, using equations for net force and pressure differences. However, it is noted that the cross sectional area and density of the log are not given, posing a challenge in finding the solution. The conversation
csnsc14320

Homework Statement

A cylindrical wooden log is loaded with lead at one end so that it floats upright in water. The length of the submerged portion is L = 2.56m. The log is set into vertical oscillation.
(a) Show that the oscillation is simple harmonic
(b) Find the period of oscillation

Neglect dampening effect by water

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

So I drew three pictures, one of the log in equilibrium, one with the log slightly raised, and one with the log slightly more submerged.

Case 2: Slightly Raised

[tex]F_b < W[/tex]

[tex]F_net = F_b - W = -m*a[/tex]

[tex]\rho_w * (A*L - A*\Delta y) * g - m*g = -m*\frac{dy^2}{dt^s}[/tex]

and, if this is correct, I'm not given the cross sectional area A or the density of the log, so not sure where to go.

Case 3: Slightly Pushed Down

[tex]F_b > W[/tex]

[tex]F_net = F_b - W = m*a[/tex]

[tex]\rho_w * (A*L + A*\Delta y) * g - m*g = m*\frac{dy^2}{dt^s}[/tex]

Same problem as case 2.

Some insight on where to go next would be nice :D

I'm thinking maybe trying to find the pressure differences at each delta y, but I'm sure there is a simpler way than that?

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
Any clues?

One knows W = mg, where m is the mass of the log.

At the equilibrium point, Fb = W. What is the expression for Fb in terms of ρ, where ρ = density of water, and L.

Let [itex]\xi[/itex] be the displacement from equilibrium, so one must be concerned about [tex]\ddot{\xi}[/tex].

Think about the restoring force per unit length.

• Wow
Likes Emaquima
Astronuc said:
One knows W = mg, where m is the mass of the log.

At the equilibrium point, Fb = W. What is the expression for Fb in terms of ρ, where ρ = density of water, and L.

At equilibrium, we have Fb = W = Weight of displaced water = ρw * g * V = ρw * g * L * A

Where L * A is the length times the cross sectional area - but I am not given A, but that is a volume in terms of L?

Last edited:

1. What is simple harmonic motion?

Simple harmonic motion is a type of periodic motion in which an object moves back and forth along a straight line, with a constant amplitude and a constant period. This type of motion is often seen in systems where there is a restoring force that acts in the opposite direction of the object's displacement.

2. How is simple harmonic motion related to buoyant force?

Simple harmonic motion and buoyant force are related through the concept of equilibrium. When an object is submerged in a fluid, it experiences an upward buoyant force that is equal to the weight of the fluid it displaces. This buoyant force acts in the opposite direction of the object's weight, creating a restoring force that can result in simple harmonic motion.

3. What factors affect the period of a simple harmonic motion?

The period of simple harmonic motion is affected by the mass of the object, the force constant of the restoring force, and the amplitude of the motion. The period is inversely proportional to the mass and the force constant, and directly proportional to the amplitude.

4. How does the amplitude of a simple harmonic motion affect the buoyant force?

The amplitude of a simple harmonic motion does not directly affect the buoyant force. However, it does affect the displacement of the object, which in turn affects the magnitude of the restoring force and therefore the motion of the object.

5. Can simple harmonic motion and buoyant force occur in any medium?

Simple harmonic motion and buoyant force can occur in any medium, as long as there is a restoring force that acts in the opposite direction of the object's displacement. This could include fluids, gases, or even solid materials.