Simple Harmonic Motion and Energy Problem

In summary: What is a? Are the two block stick together after the collision?In summary, after the inelastic collision, block 1 transfers all its energy to block 2. The amplitude of the system is increased by the KE of block 1.
i_hate_math

Homework Statement

In the figure, block 2 of mass 2.40 kg oscillates on the end of a spring in SHM with a period of 26.00 ms. The position of the block is given by x = (1.80 cm) cos(ωt + π/2). Block 1 of mass 4.80 kg slides toward block 2 with a velocity of magnitude 6.90 m/s, directed along the spring's length. The two blocks undergo a completely inelastic collision at time t = 6.50 ms. (The duration of the collision is much less than the period of motion.) What is the amplitude of the SHM after the collision?

Homework Equations

E=KE+PE=0.5k*a^2 where k is spring constant and a is amplitude
KE=0.5m*v^2
T=2π*sqrt(m/k)

The Attempt at a Solution

First rearrange the expression for T:
k=(4*m*π^2)/T^2
We also have initial mechanical energy:
Ei=0.5k*a^2, where a can be read off from the given equation x = (1.80 cm) cos(ωt + π/2), that is 0.018m, and we have managed an expression for k.
Thus we get Ei=45.42286025 J
After the collision, block 1 transfers all its energy to block 2, thus the total mechanical energy increases by the the KE of block 1:
KE1=0.5*M*v^2=0.5*4.8*6.9^2=114.264 J
Now the new mechanical energy is
Ef=Ei+KE1=159.6758603 J
Finally we use the equation E=0.5k*a^2 to solve for the new amplitude and get
a=0.0477 m
This is not the correct answer and I did not use all the information given(t=6.5ms and ø=π/2).
Please point out what I have missed thanks.

Attachments

• qu_15_36.jpg
    qu_15_36.jpg
    2.1 KB · Views: 366
Physics news on Phys.org
Hi,

With a a nickname like that you want to try and outsmart the composer of the exercise. Think what an inelastic collision entails and find a minimum path through the glob of info and relationships. One of your relationships contains all you need for the anser - and involves only a few variables.

[edit] Sorry, misread the aim of the exercise -- when it's late it seems that it is possible to read 'frequency' instead of 'amplitude' :oldconfused: -- . Fortunately you haven't been distracted and still are on the right track in #11 thanks to haru and ehild

Last edited:
BvU said:
Hi,

Witha a nickname like that you want to try and outsmart the composer of the exercise. Think what an inelastic collision entails and find a minimum path through the glob of info and relationships. One of your relationships contains all you need for the anser - and involves only a few variables.
Hi
One day I shall prove to the world that I am so much smarter than the the composer of this problem, its just the composer might not live to witness this brilliant moment.

Complete Inelastic collision means all the KE of block 1 is transferred to the new two-blocks system is that right? If so I think my equations follow this

i_hate_math said:
Complete Inelastic collision means all the KE of block 1 is transferred to the new two-blocks system is that right? If so I think my equations follow this
No. Part of the KE of the whole system transforms to non-mechanical energy, like heat. What does complete inelastic collision mean?

ehild said:
No. Part of the KE of the whole system transforms to non-mechanical energy, like heat. What does complete inelastic collision mean?
It means the greatest loss in KE, m1*Vi=(m1+m2)*Vf

i_hate_math said:
Yes, except that in this question both have an initial velocity.

haruspex said:
Yes, except that in this question both have an initial velocity.
Does it mean that the actual velocity after collision would be Vf+(velocity of block 2)?

i_hate_math said:
Does it mean that the actual velocity after collision would be Vf+(velocity of block 2)?
No, it means that you add up the initial momenta and equate that sum to the final momentum.

Likes i_hate_math
i_hate_math said:
What are Vi and Vf? In general, both blocks have their velocities before and after the collision. How are the velocities related after the completely inelastic collision? What was the velocity of block 2 just before the collision?

Likes i_hate_math
haruspex said:
No, it means that you add up the initial momenta and equate that sum to the final momentum.
Right, so M1*V1+M2*V2=(M1+M2)*Vf

ehild said:
What are Vi and Vf? In general, both blocks have their velocities before and after the collision. How are the velocities related after the completely inelastic collision? What was the velocity of block 2 just before the collision?
M1*V1+M2*V2=(M1+M2)*Vf where V1 is given and V2 can be calculated from the equation of X(t). Now I am able to get Vf, and Vf=a*w right?

Right

Likes i_hate_math
i_hate_math said:
M1*V1+M2*V2=(M1+M2)*Vf where V1 is given and V2 can be calculated from the equation of X(t). Now I am able to get Vf, and Vf=a*w right?
What is a? Are the two block stick together after the collision?
You can calculate Vf, and then you can determine the whole energy of the system. For that, you need to know the elastic energy of the spring at the moment of collision.

BvU said:
Right
ehild said:
What is a?
You can calculate Vf, and then you can determine the whole energy of the system. For that, you need to know the elastic energy of the spring at the moment of collision.
a is the amplitude.

K=0.5 • (M1+M2) • Vf
U=0.5k • [0.018cos(ωt + π/2)]^2
K+U=E=0.5 • k • a^2

If the blocks move together the frequency of the SHM will change.
Determine both V1 and V2 before the collision, and the common Vf after it. What is the energy of the spring at the moment of collision?
What is the new ω when the blocks move together?

ehild said:
If the blocks move together the frequency of the SHM will change.
Determine both V1 and V2 before the collision, and the common Vf after it. What is the energy of the spring at the moment of collision?
What is the new ω when the blocks move together?
The new w is
w=sqrt(k/M1+M2)
is that right?

i_hate_math said:
The new w is
w=sqrt(k/(M1+M2))
is that right?
if you add a pair of parentheses ...

Likes BvU and i_hate_math

What is Simple Harmonic Motion (SHM)?

Simple Harmonic Motion (SHM) is a type of periodic motion in which an object oscillates back and forth around a central equilibrium point. It is characterized by a sinusoidal pattern and is often seen in systems such as pendulums, springs, and masses on springs.

What is the formula for calculating the period of an object in SHM?

The formula for calculating the period of an object in SHM is T = 2π√(m/k), where T is the period, m is the mass of the object, and k is the spring constant of the system. This formula can also be written as T = 2π√(l/g), where l is the length of the pendulum and g is the acceleration due to gravity.

How is energy conserved in a simple harmonic motion system?

Energy is conserved in a simple harmonic motion system because the potential energy and kinetic energy of the object are constantly being converted back and forth. At the equilibrium point, the potential energy is at its maximum and the kinetic energy is at its minimum. At the maximum displacement, the potential energy is at its minimum and the kinetic energy is at its maximum. This exchange of energy ensures that the total energy remains constant throughout the motion.

What is the relationship between the amplitude and energy in SHM?

The amplitude of SHM is directly proportional to the energy of the system. This means that a larger amplitude will result in a higher energy and a smaller amplitude will result in a lower energy. This relationship can be seen in the formula for the potential energy of a spring, which is directly proportional to the square of the amplitude.

How does damping affect the motion of an object in SHM?

Damping is the process of reducing the amplitude of an oscillation over time. In SHM, damping can occur due to external factors such as friction or air resistance. Damping causes the amplitude of the oscillation to decrease, resulting in a shorter period and a decrease in total energy. If the damping is significant, the oscillation may eventually stop altogether.