Simple harmonic motion derivative of position function

In summary, the function x = (7.4 m) cos[(5πrad/s)t + π/5 rad] describes the simple harmonic motion of a body. At t = 6.2 s, the displacement is -5.987 m, the velocity is 68.324 m/s, and the acceleration is -1825.880 m/s^2. The phase of the motion is 98.0177 rad. The frequency is 5π rad/s and the period is 2π/5 s. To find these values, one must plug in t into the position function and take the derivative for velocity and acceleration. It is important to check the calculator mode, as using degrees instead of radians can result
jdawg

Homework Statement

The function
x = (7.4 m) cos[(5πrad/s)t + π/5 rad]
gives the simple harmonic motion of a body. At t = 6.2 s, what are the (a) displacement, (b) velocity, (c) acceleration, and (d) phase of the motion? Also, what are the (e) frequency and (f) period of the motion?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Hi! I understand that you're supposed to plug in your t into the position function, and then take the derivative and continue plugging in. I think I'm messing up the math somehow because I keep getting the wrong answer...

(7.4)cos(98.0177)= -0.1395

Physics news on Phys.org
So I went ahead and tried to derive the position function, and I feel like I did it correctly. However, I'm still getting incorrect answers when plugging in my t value.

v(t)= -7.4sin(5[itex]\pi[/itex]t+[itex]\frac{\pi}{5}[/itex])*5[itex]\pi[/itex]
v(6.2)= -115 m/s

a(t)= -7.4cos(5[itex]\pi[/itex]t+[itex]\frac{\pi}{5}[/itex])*5[itex]\pi[/itex]*5[itex]\pi[/itex]
a(6.2)= -255 m/s2

For a) I'm getting -5.987 m.

For b) your derivative looks fine to me. I'm getting 68.324 m/s for the velocity though.

c) I'm getting -1825.880 m/s^2.

Is your calculator in degree mode perhaps?

Zondrina said:
For a) I'm getting -5.987 m.

For b) your derivative looks fine to me. I'm getting 68.324 m/s for the velocity though.

c) I'm getting -1825.880 m/s^2.

Is your calculator in degree mode perhaps?
Haha ohh, thanks so much! That was the problem :)

m

To find velocity:
v= -7.4sin(98.0177)(5πrad/s) = -36.79 m/s

To find acceleration:
a = -7.4cos(98.0177)(5πrad/s)^2 = 183.95 m/s^2

To find phase:
The phase of the motion can be found by taking the inverse cosine of the ratio of the displacement and amplitude. In this case, it would be arccos(-0.1395/7.4) = 1.878 rad.

To find frequency:
The frequency of the motion can be found by taking the coefficient of t in the position function, which is 5πrad/s.

To find period:
The period of the motion can be found by taking the inverse of the frequency, which is 1/(5πrad/s) = 0.0637 s.

1. What is simple harmonic motion?

Simple harmonic motion is a type of periodic motion where an object moves back and forth in a regular pattern, typically in a straight line. This type of motion can be seen in various systems such as a pendulum, a mass-spring system, or a vibrating string.

2. What is the position function in simple harmonic motion?

The position function in simple harmonic motion describes the position of the object at any given time. It is usually represented by the equation x = A sin(ωt + φ), where A is the amplitude of the motion, ω is the angular frequency, and φ is the phase angle.

3. How do you find the derivative of the position function in simple harmonic motion?

The derivative of the position function in simple harmonic motion can be found by taking the derivative of x = A sin(ωt + φ). This results in the velocity function, v = ωA cos(ωt + φ). The derivative of the velocity function is the acceleration function, a = -ω²A sin(ωt + φ).

4. What does the amplitude represent in simple harmonic motion?

The amplitude in simple harmonic motion represents the maximum displacement of the object from its equilibrium position. It is equal to half of the total distance traveled by the object during one complete cycle of motion.

5. How does the angular frequency affect the motion in simple harmonic motion?

The angular frequency in simple harmonic motion determines the speed at which the object moves and the time it takes to complete one full cycle of motion. A higher angular frequency results in a faster motion and a shorter period, while a lower angular frequency results in a slower motion and a longer period.