1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Simple Harmonic Motion, object floating in a liquid

1. Sep 15, 2010 #1
    (apologies for the formatting, mixing LaTeX and regular text looks ugly, but I don't know how to do it otherwise)

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

This is problem 3-7 from Thornton and Marion's Classical Dynamics.

A body of uniform cross-sectional area A = 1 cm2 and of mass density [tex]\rho[/tex]=0.8 g/cm3 floats in a liquid of density [tex]\rho[/tex]0=1 g/cm3 and at equilibrium displaces a volume V = 0.8 cm3. Show that the peroid of small oscillations about the equilibrium position is given by:

[tex]\tau[/tex] = 2[tex]\pi[/tex] [tex]\sqrt{V/gA}[/tex]

where g is the gravitational field strength. Determine the value of [tex]\tau[/tex]

2. Relevant equations

[tex]\tau[/tex] = 2[tex]\pi[/tex][tex]\sqrt{k/m}[/tex] (equation 3.13 in the book)

k[tex]\equiv[/tex] -(dF/dx)

3. The attempt at a solution

It appears to me that if I can show V/gA = m/k or k = mgA/V, then the equation in the problem would be equal to equation 3.13 quoted above. I tried coming up with an equation for the restoring force F in terms of mg A and V, and then take the x-derivative of k, but it doesn't equal mgA/V.

I'll be using p = rho from here, because I don't want to mix LaTeX and regular text, and p has no other meaning.

The restoring force I came up with was F = Vp0g - mg where m is the mass of the block.

In terms of x, I get F = Axpg - mg where x is the depth of the submerged block.

Taking the x-derivative of F, from the definition of k, I get Apg, which isn't equal to mgA/V

Any suggestions?

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 15, 2010 #2
    I'm an idiot, p= m/V by definition, and everything falls together.

I can't believe I got stuck on such a trivial step. I'm embarrassed that I even posted this thread.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook