Simple harmonic motion of a car

In summary: Thanks for taking the time to read :)If you don't know what you are doing, then how did you get this far? Is this the way the answer tells you to do it? Or did the question hint at this and did you find it out yourself? Or did you put it together all by yourself?If you want the \Delta L you will also have to plug in the change in this quantity, and not the value itself.
danielle36
A 1000 kg car carrying two 100 kg football players travels over a bumpy "washboard" road with the bumps spaced 3.0 m apart. The driver finds that the car bounces with a max amplitude when he drives at a speed of 5.0 m/s. The car then stops and picks up three more 100 kg passengers. By how much does the car body sag on its suspension when these three additional passengers get in?

------------

[tex] \lambda = 3.0 m [/tex]
[tex] f = v/ \lambda [/tex]
[tex] f = 1.67 Hz [/tex]
[tex] \omega = 2 \pi f = \sqrt{k/m} [/tex]
[tex] k = 132300 N/m [/tex]
[tex] \Delta L = mg/k [/tex]
[tex] \Delta L = 0.11 m [/tex]

-----

Answer is 2.23 cm

I think my basic problem here is I just don't know what I'm doing. :confused:

Thanks for taking the time to read :)

Physics news on Phys.org
If you don't know what you are doing, then how did you get this far? Is this the way the answer tells you to do it? Or did the question hint at this and did you find it out yourself? Or did you put it together all by yourself?

As for the answer, I can say you are almost there. Just note that you are calculating the change in L in the last two lines, not L itself. This change is induced by the changing of another quantity, if you want the [itex]\Delta L[/itex] you will also have to plug in the change in this quantity, and not the value itself. Or, alternatively, you can first calculate L for the case before and after, and subtract them to find the difference.

Ohhh I thought I was just way off... I had tried subtracting the change in L when m = 1000 kg, but I see now that I had to use m = 1200 kg and that gives me a 2.22 cm difference

Thank you :D

Great

danielle36 said:
I think my basic problem here is I just don't know what I'm doing. :confused:

Has that problem been solved too, or do you want someone to explain it?

Actually, I think I got it now.. What I was doing made sense to me but since I was so far off I thought I was applying the equations to the wrong situation, but it turns out I just hadn't thought the question over enough

What is simple harmonic motion of a car?

Simple harmonic motion refers to the repetitive back and forth motion of an object, such as a car, around a central equilibrium point. In the case of a car, this motion is typically caused by the compression and expansion of the car's suspension system as it traverses over a bumpy road.

Why is understanding simple harmonic motion of a car important?

Understanding the simple harmonic motion of a car is important for engineers and designers in the automotive industry. It allows them to optimize the car's suspension system, ensuring a smooth and comfortable ride for passengers. It also helps in identifying and solving issues related to the car's handling and stability.

What factors affect the simple harmonic motion of a car?

The simple harmonic motion of a car can be affected by various factors, such as the stiffness of the car's suspension system, the weight of the car, and the characteristics of the road surface. The shape and design of the car's body can also impact its motion.

How is simple harmonic motion of a car calculated and measured?

Simple harmonic motion can be calculated and measured using mathematical equations that take into account variables such as the car's mass, spring constant, and displacement from equilibrium. These measurements can also be obtained through various sensors and instruments, such as accelerometers and strain gauges.

Can simple harmonic motion of a car be harmful?

In most cases, simple harmonic motion of a car is not harmful. However, if the motion is too extreme or if there are issues with the car's suspension system, it can cause discomfort or even injuries to passengers. Additionally, if the simple harmonic motion is not properly controlled, it can affect the car's handling and stability, potentially leading to accidents.