1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Simple Harmonic motion of sand grain

1. Sep 14, 2008 #1
    Sand grains rest on a horzontal plate. The plate vibrates in the vertical plane with SHM of amplitude 1.5mm at a fixed frequency with acceleration equal to free fall (9.8ms^-2).

What will happen to the grains of sand when the frequency of vibration is increased?

I am unsure of how to tackle this problem. Will the amplitude of oscillation decrease? My working is below:

max acceleration = amplitude*((2*pi*f)^2)

If f increases, with max acceleration the same, the amplitude decreases. Is this reasoning and answer correct?

Thanks

Last edited: Sep 14, 2008
  2. jcsd
  3. Sep 14, 2008 #2

Doc Al

Staff: Mentor

I suspect they mean "while keeping the amplitude the same". What happens then? (Hint: What's special about the initial max acceleration?)

4. Sep 14, 2008 #3
    Im not sure... the acceleration of free fall is surely the maximum acceleration that the sand can have isn't it?

Thanks

5. Sep 14, 2008 #4

Doc Al

On the way down it is. And that's the key. What happens if the acceleration of the plate exceeds the acceleration due to gravity?

6. Sep 14, 2008 #5
    It will seize to oscillate with SHM?

7. Sep 14, 2008 #6

Doc Al

Actually, yes. But they're looking for something much more basic (I presume). If you were watching the sand/plate vibrate, you'd immediately notice when the acceleration exceeded g. Why?

8. Sep 14, 2008 #7
    The plate and sand particles would seperate?

9. Sep 14, 2008 #8

Doc Al

Exactly! You'd see the sand particles start to bounce around.

10. Sep 14, 2008 #9
    That makes sense! Thank you so much!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?