1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Simple Harmonic Motion - Potential and Kinetic Energy?

1. Mar 15, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

A 2.00 kg mass vibrates according to the equation x = 0.470 cos 8.36t, where x is in meters, and t is in seconds. Assume that x = 0.29 m.

(a) Determine the amplitude.
    (b) Determine the frequency.
    (c) Determine the total energy.

(d) Determine the kinetic energy.

e) Determine the potential energy.

I did the first two parts (a-b), but I'm stuck on c,d & e, the questions about the Energy of the spring.

2. Relevant equations

PE = .5kx^2

KE = .5KA^2

3. The attempt at a solution

I've tried these 3 multiple times and I keep getting them wrong. One thing I'm not sure of, is is "x" the amplitude? I have been plugging in .29 for the "x" and .47 for the "A", but just curious if this is the reason I'm getting these wrong.

I would think, that according to these formulas, KE+PE=TOTAL ENERGY, and I thought I was doing them right. I'm at my wits end.
    Last edited: Mar 15, 2008
  2. jcsd
  3. Mar 15, 2008 #2

Doc Al

Staff: Mentor

Not good. (This implies that the KE doesn't change!)

No. "x" is displacement from equilibrium.
    These are correct.

Absolutely. What's the total energy?

Hint: Since total energy doesn't change, pick the easiest position to calculate PE + KE.
  4. Mar 15, 2008 #3
    K.E + P.E = total energy
    They usually give you that equation on formula sheets.
  5. Mar 15, 2008 #4
    Does Ke=.5mv^2?

I don't know V, and I can't use w=v/r because I don't know R.

I tried to find Total Energy when PE is maxed out and v=0, but I got it wrong. I did

Total Energy=.5((9.8*2)/(.29))*(.29)^2
    thats .5 * k * x^2

And Snazzy-I tried .5KA^2 as my total energy and got 2.986 and thats wrong...
  6. Mar 15, 2008 #5
    The total energy is only given by [tex]\frac{1}{2}kx^2[/tex] only if [tex]x=A[/tex]

You find A by looking at the equation of the motion because SHM follows the equation:

[tex]x(t)=Acos(\omega t+\phi)[/tex]

Then you can find the potential energy at x=0.29m and then the kinetic energy at that point since you now have the total energy and the potential energy.
  7. Mar 15, 2008 #6
    But I can't find KE because I don't know V and I can't find v using W because I don't have R...

Thank you so much for your help on this!!
  8. Mar 15, 2008 #7
    You don't need V or R or whatever to find the kinetic energy. You can use the fact that KE + PE = total energy
  9. Mar 15, 2008 #8
    Well, x is not equal to A. So I guess I can't use the fact that .5kA^2 is total, and I keep getting PE wrong. :(
  10. Mar 15, 2008 #9
    You get PE wrong because your value of k is wrong. F = kx at equilibrium, but x=0.29 is not the distance the spring has stretched at its equilibrium state. They usually give you the equation:

[tex]\omega =\sqrt{\frac{k}{m}}[/tex]

And you CAN use the fact that [tex]\frac{1}{2}kA^2[/tex] is the total energy because A is GIVEN TO YOU IN THE EQUATION OF THE FUNCTION. The reason you got it wrong is because your value of k is wrong.
  11. Mar 15, 2008 #10
    Okay, I tried it using x=.470 for my equation of the value of k, and I get k=41.7

but then I still get the wrong answer for PE...=1.753
  12. Mar 15, 2008 #11
    I don't know why you're using the amplitude to find the value of k, use [tex]\omega[/tex] and the mass to find the value of k as shown in the equation above. The spring does not stretch to its amplitude at equilibrium, nor does it stretch to the value of x the question gives you.
  13. Mar 15, 2008 #12
    I GOT THEM RIGHT!!! =)

Thanks, you were SO helpful!! I didn't realize that you can't always use the equation of F=-kx to find k!

I'm really thankful and grateful that you stayed online and helped me through each step. Thanks again, you're a really good person. =)
  14. Mar 15, 2008 #13

You can always use F=-k x at two conditions: that the F you use is the force exerted by the spring and that the x you use is the displacement of the mass from the equilibrium position. I am not sure why you concluded that you can't always use that equation but I wanted to point that out.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?