1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Simple Harmonic Motion question

1. Apr 14, 2008 #1
    [SOLVED] Simple Harmonic Motion question

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    A 0.27 kg block oscillates back and forth along a straight line on a frictionless horizontal surface. Its displacement from the origin is given by the following equation.
    x = (15 cm)cos[(5 rad/s)t + /2 rad)]
    (a) What is the oscillation frequency? .796 Hz
    (b) What is the maximum speed acquired by the block? 75cm/s
    At what value of x does this occur? 0cm
    (c) What is the magnitude of the maximum acceleration of the block? 375cm/s^2
    At what values of x does this occur? (Type your answers in any order. If there is only one answer, type 'none' in the second box.) -15cm 15cm
    d) What force, applied to the block, results in the given oscillation?
    2. Relevant equations
    x(t)=Xm Cos(wt+phi)
    F=-kx

3. The attempt at a solution
    I solved parts athrough c but I was not sure what to do for part d.
    I had already solved for k in part a so I substituted the values for k and Xm into the F=-kx equation
    F=-6.75(N/m) .15m=1.0125N
    the form webassign wants the answer in is (_____ N/cm)x

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 14, 2008 #2
    # Hi
    # I think there may be a mistake in the question. The dimensionality of the force is N not N/cm.

4. Apr 14, 2008 #3
    notice that the answer is in the form of (-----N/cm)x. the question is asking for the force F=-kx so would the answer be k with units of N/cm instead of N/m?

5. Apr 14, 2008 #4
    # Oh, yes. I did not see x there. Then, I think your reasoning seems plausible. You should write -k in units of N/cm there.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?