1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Simple harmonic motion velocity and acceleration

1. Apr 13, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

An oscillator consists of a block attached to a spring (k = 125 N/m). At some time t, the position (measured from the system's equilibrium location), velocity, and acceleration of the block are x = 0.800 m, v = -11.3 m/s, and a = -119 m/s2

(a) calculate the frequency of oscillation (Hz)

(b) calculate mass of block (kg)

(c) calculate the amplitude of motion (m)

2. Relevant equations
    v(t) = -angular frequency(displacement)sin(phase)
    a(t) = - angular frequency^2(displacement)cos(phase)
    phase = angular frequency(t) + phase angle

3. The attempt at a solution

-11.3 = -angular frequency (.8) sin (angular frequency x t + phase angle) but i have 3 variables

i feel like there is some simple and fairly easy way to do this... i just dont know what it is

thank you for the help

Alex

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 13, 2009 #2

LowlyPion

Homework Helper

So isn't

a(t) = - ω2*x(t)

and since F = m*a = -k*x then substituting for a ...

ω2 = k/m

4. Apr 13, 2009 #3
    thank you very much that was quite helpful, but im having some problems with the amplitude calculation...

i found the equation K = Ma/A where A is amplitude but that just gives me the original displacement

125 = (.84 x -119)/ A

A = .8

any ideas?

5. Apr 13, 2009 #4

Kurdt

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

What will the acceleration and velocity be when the bob is at a maximum displacement?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook