Simple harmonic motion velocity and acceleration

In summary, the conversation discusses an oscillator consisting of a block attached to a spring with a spring constant of 125 N/m. The position, velocity, and acceleration of the block are given at a specific time. The frequency, mass of the block, and amplitude of motion are to be calculated. The equations used are v(t) = -angular frequency(displacement)sin(phase), a(t) = -angular frequency^2(displacement)cos(phase), and phase = angular frequency(t) + phase angle. The frequency is found to be ω = √(k/m), where k is the spring constant and m is the mass of the block. The amplitude is calculated using the equation K = Ma/A, where A is the
alexandertg6

Homework Statement

An oscillator consists of a block attached to a spring (k = 125 N/m). At some time t, the position (measured from the system's equilibrium location), velocity, and acceleration of the block are x = 0.800 m, v = -11.3 m/s, and a = -119 m/s2

(a) calculate the frequency of oscillation (Hz)

(b) calculate mass of block (kg)

(c) calculate the amplitude of motion (m)

Homework Equations

v(t) = -angular frequency(displacement)sin(phase)
a(t) = - angular frequency^2(displacement)cos(phase)
phase = angular frequency(t) + phase angle

The Attempt at a Solution

-11.3 = -angular frequency (.8) sin (angular frequency x t + phase angle) but i have 3 variables

i feel like there is some simple and fairly easy way to do this... i just don't know what it is

thank you for the help

Alex

Physics news on Phys.org
So isn't

a(t) = - ω2*x(t)

and since F = m*a = -k*x then substituting for a ...

ω2 = k/m

thank you very much that was quite helpful, but I am having some problems with the amplitude calculation...

i found the equation K = Ma/A where A is amplitude but that just gives me the original displacement

125 = (.84 x -119)/ A

A = .8

any ideas?

What will the acceleration and velocity be when the bob is at a maximum displacement?

What is simple harmonic motion?

Simple harmonic motion is a type of periodic motion where an object oscillates back and forth around an equilibrium point, with a restoring force proportional to the displacement from the equilibrium point.

What is the formula for velocity in simple harmonic motion?

The velocity of an object in simple harmonic motion can be calculated using the equation v = ωAcos(ωt), where ω is the angular frequency and A is the amplitude of the motion.

How does velocity change in simple harmonic motion?

In simple harmonic motion, the velocity of the object is constantly changing. It is at its maximum at the equilibrium point and decreases as the object moves towards the extremes of its motion. It reaches zero at the extremes and then increases again as the object moves back towards the equilibrium point.

What is the formula for acceleration in simple harmonic motion?

The acceleration of an object in simple harmonic motion can be calculated using the equation a = -ω²Asin(ωt), where ω is the angular frequency and A is the amplitude of the motion. The negative sign indicates that the acceleration is in the opposite direction of the displacement from the equilibrium point.

How does acceleration relate to velocity in simple harmonic motion?

The acceleration in simple harmonic motion is directly proportional to the velocity and always points towards the equilibrium point. This means that as the velocity increases, the acceleration also increases, and as the velocity decreases, the acceleration also decreases.