The phase of a simple harmonic motion

In summary, the problem states that a body is placed at the end of a pier, stretched by 4 cm and allowed to oscillate freely. The task is to write a function to determine the elongation, speed, and acceleration at any given time, assuming a frequency of 2 Hz. However, the initial phase cannot be calculated with only the given data.
Guillem_dlc

Homework Statement

How can I calculate the initial phase in a simple harmonic motion if I only have the amplitude, frequency and angular velocity as data?

Homework Equations

The formula of the position, in fact they ask me to do the formula that allows to know the elongation depending on the type and for that I use the formula of the elongation.

The Attempt at a Solution

I am not able to take the initial phase

Physics news on Phys.org
Please state the actual problem. If that is the only data given, then you cannot find the initial phase.

Original statement:
At the end of a pier we place a body, we stretch it a length of 4 cm and let it oscillate freely. Write the function that allows you to know its elongation, speed and acceleration as a function of time if it vibrates with a frequency of 2 Hz. Graph these functions taking time values that allow knowing what happens in two complete oscillations.

I am a little confused by the first statement in the problem. What is stretched? Is it stretched by a length of 4 cm, or strtched to a length of 4 cm? Could you draw a diagram?

I do not understand it either very well, but I thought that the 4cm are the amplitude. The problem is not that it is very clear

OK. So let us assume that you stretched something by 4 cm and let it go, and it is oscillating freely with a frequency of 2 Hz. So what is the value of the stretch at t = 0?

1. What is the phase of a simple harmonic motion?

The phase of a simple harmonic motion is a measure of the position of an object within one complete cycle of its oscillation. It is often represented by the Greek letter phi (φ) and is measured in radians or degrees.

2. How is the phase of a simple harmonic motion calculated?

The phase of a simple harmonic motion can be calculated by finding the angle between the object's current position and its equilibrium position, with respect to the maximum amplitude of the oscillation. This angle is often referred to as the phase angle.

3. What does a phase shift indicate in a simple harmonic motion?

A phase shift in a simple harmonic motion indicates a change in the starting position of the object within one complete cycle of its oscillation. It can also indicate a change in the frequency or amplitude of the oscillation.

4. Can the phase of a simple harmonic motion change over time?

Yes, the phase of a simple harmonic motion can change over time due to external forces acting on the object or changes in the physical properties of the object itself. However, for a simple harmonic motion with no external forces, the phase remains constant.

5. How does the phase affect the energy of a simple harmonic motion?

The phase of a simple harmonic motion does not directly affect the energy of the oscillation. However, it can affect the amplitude and frequency of the oscillation, which in turn can affect the total energy of the system.