Simple Harmonic Motion - Velocity EQ.

In summary, the conversation discusses the equation for the velocity of an object in simple harmonic motion, given the equation for its position and the value of its parameters. The attempted solution provided an incorrect equation for the velocity, but the correct equation is v(t) = wA*cos(wt). The addition of a phase term is unnecessary and could cause confusion for those learning about simple harmonic motion.
Masri

Homework Statement

x = 0.20m*sin(0.44 rad/s * t)

Write the equation for the velocity of this object. Find the velocity at t = 4:0 s.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

well, i know that v(t)= - wAsin(wt +[tex]\phi[/tex])

and we know the w = 0.44 rad/s
A = 0.20 s
t=4

so it i plugged the numbers in but the answer came wrong..

and the answer in the book says ...
v= 0.088 m/s* cos ( 0.44 rad/s * 4 s)

v= - 1.7 *10-2 m/s

well first where did he get that equation from ? 2nd if we actually calculated (v= 0.088 m/s* cos ( 0.44 rad/s * 4 s) ) it won't give us v= - 1.7 *10-2 m/s

so if somone could please help me out with this one... any help would be appreciated ,

Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
Masri said:
and the answer in the book says ...
v= 0.088 m/s* cos ( 0.44 rad/s * 4 s)

v= - 1.7 *10-2 m/s

As i know, the calculation of the book was using radian(0.44) changed to degree(25.120).So,the answer would get -0.01655 m/s.

But for me, normally we usage radian.:smile:

but where did he get that formula from ?

hello,

your equation for the velocity is incorrect. can you show what you did to derive it?

Masri said:
but where did he get that formula from ?
(0.44rad/pi)x1800=25.120

eczeno said:
hello,

your equation for the velocity is incorrect. can you show what you did to derive it?

it is actually given to us like this in our formula sheet . (am talking about the on i used, not the one the book )

thanks xiaoB, but i was talking about the velocity equation that the book used

eczeno said:
hello,

Hi,eczeno!:smile:

Actually he correct because the sine has the phase ∅.

if the formula you gave for the position is correct, then your velocity is incorrect.
v = dx/dt. take the derivative of x to find v.

notice the solution has cosine where you have sine; the solution given is correct.

Masri said:
it is actually given to us like this in our formula sheet . (am talking about the on i used, not the one the book )

thanks xiaoB, but i was talking about the velocity equation that the book used

You just derive this x = 0.20m*sin(0.44 rad/s * t) respected for t :

dx/dt=V.

xiaoB said:
Hi,eczeno!:smile:

Actually he correct because the sine has the phase ∅.

No, it's not correct. The derivative of A*sin(wt) is wA*cos(wt).

Dick said:
No, it's not correct. The derivative of A*sin(wt) is wA*cos(wt).

Yes ! the derive should be this wA*cos(wt) .

But if v(t)= - wAsin(wt + ∅) the sin(wt + ∅) for the phase ∅ is 900 so the sin(wt + 90)=cos(wt).:smile:

Therefore,v(t)= - wAsin(wt + ∅) nothings going wrong.:smile:

xiaoB said:

But if v(t)= - wAsin(wt + ∅) the sin(wt + ∅) for the phase ∅ is 900 so the sin(wt + 90)=cos(wt).:smile:

of course the addition of the proper phase will turn cos into sin, but there is no phase specified in the attempted solution, so it is incorrect.

this is really only adding unnecessary confusion to a relatively simple problem. the derivative of sin is cos; this gets us directly to the correct solution without needing to worry about the phase.

xiaoB said:

If I were first learning simple harmonic motion, that sort of approach to solving the problem would make me quit physics. That's what's going wrong.

Dick said:
If I were first learning simple harmonic motion, that sort of approach to solving the problem would make me quit physics. That's what's going wrong.

Oh!thanks.I not think so...

1. What is Simple Harmonic Motion?

Simple Harmonic Motion is a type of periodic motion in which an object moves back and forth in a straight line, with a constant amplitude and a constant period. This motion is caused by a restoring force that is directly proportional to the displacement from the equilibrium position.

2. What is the equation for calculating velocity in Simple Harmonic Motion?

The equation for velocity in Simple Harmonic Motion is v = ω√(A^2 - x^2), where v is the velocity, ω is the angular frequency, A is the amplitude, and x is the displacement from the equilibrium position.

3. How is Simple Harmonic Motion related to Hooke's Law?

Hooke's Law states that the force exerted by a spring is directly proportional to the displacement from its equilibrium position. This is the same restoring force that causes Simple Harmonic Motion, making Hooke's Law fundamental to understanding this type of motion.

4. Can the velocity in Simple Harmonic Motion ever be negative?

Yes, the velocity in Simple Harmonic Motion can be negative. This occurs when the object is moving towards the equilibrium position, as opposed to moving away from it. The negative velocity indicates that the direction of motion is opposite to the direction of the displacement.

5. How does the amplitude affect the velocity in Simple Harmonic Motion?

The amplitude does not directly affect the velocity in Simple Harmonic Motion. However, a larger amplitude will result in a larger maximum velocity, and a smaller amplitude will result in a smaller maximum velocity. This is because the velocity is dependent on the displacement, which is affected by the amplitude.